VP Government Relations
The VP Government Relations will be responsible for leading the company’s government affairs, public policy, and advocacy agenda, working collaboratively across the enterprise to coordinate and ensure all leaders who interact with government officials are appropriately briefed and educated about our strategy. This role will also be responsible for building strong relationships with NY and other government officials and agencies to advocate for public policy and government actions that are aligned with company goals. This role will play a leadership role on the Government Relations Steering Committee and will report to the Chief Legal Officer.
- Design and implement a government relations strategy that promotes company objectives through compelling public policy and advocacy in government and public arenas at the Federal and State level, working with our outside lobbyists.
- Work closely with the Chief Executive Officer and senior management on strategic engagement before federal and state legislative and regulatory bodies, and other related constituencies.
- Partner with outside lobbyists to advance and protect the company’s interests in Albany and Washington, D.C., including legislators and regulatory agencies.
- Manage all Federal and NY state government affairs activities including coordinating and monitoring legislative initiatives as prioritized by business needs and attending all association meetings as appropriate.
- Collaborate and communicate with various teams across the enterprise on initiatives and issues that impact the organization, including product, communications, community engagement and sales, as well as trade associations.
- Regularly communicate with the enterprise to ensure everyone is aware of our positions and messages, and that activities throughout the organization are aligned.
- Evaluate pending legislation which may have impact on the company and develop and prepare timely recommendations and communications for senior management and key business leaders.
- Work closely with senior management to assist in the development of any policy positions and/or relationships that increase the profile of the company and support the company’s business objectives, customer initiatives, and reputation.
- Ensure alignment of all activities pertaining to government affairs, including the coordination and oversight for all internal and external messaging with local and state officials (in conjunction with Communications).
- Establish and maintain high-level contacts with a wide variety of industry and non-industry individuals and groups who can compel/promote public, community, and government actions favorable to the company.
- Work with various trade associations and public policy groups to identify priorities and develop positions that support the company’s business goals.
- Represent Healthfirst interests at certain key fund-raising events at the federal and state level.
- Oversee the annual budget and allocate resources effectively.
- Monitor and track lobbying activities and contributions for reporting purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Prior experience working in a government affairs function, as well as setting strategy and policy direction with familiarity of public policy issues associated with the health insurance industry.
- Proven leader with superior strategic and tactical communications skills and instincts with experience in an effective government relations program.
- Deep functional experience in government affairs and public policy, with proven coalition-building skills.
- Proven experience in a leadership role in a healthcare sector company in government affairs and public policy
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex issues, develop appropriate positions and communicate effectively to a variety of audiences including the highest levels of business and government.
- Insightful and intuitive with strong conceptual capabilities as well as experience working across an organization using influence and collaboration.
- Maintained an active network of contacts and relationships, along with a reputation for working well in the political arena, particularly in State and Federal government.
- Outstanding leadership and crisis management skills.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Applicants and employees are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disability Act or a similar law, and want a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to careers@Healthfirst.org or calling 212-519-1798 . In your email please include a description of the accommodation you are requesting and a description of the position for which you are applying. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a position within Healthfirst Management Services will be reviewed at the e-mail address and phone number supplied. Thank you for considering a career with Healthfirst Management Services.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-09-09