AVP, Federal Affairs
Zurich’s North America Government & Industry Affairs unit is an integral component of the Group effort to implement Zurich’s strategic and tactical public policy objectives consistently across the enterprise and seeks to anticipate emerging trends, define and prioritize public policy issues and establish Zurich as a thought leader on identified issues.
At direction of the VP and Head of Federal Affairs, the candidate will be tasked with overseeing strategic and tactical objectives as they relate to Zurich’s public policy and political agenda at the U.S. Federal level while also representing Zurich’s efforts in following and influencing proposed legislation and working with relevant trade associations (e.g. the American Property Casualty Insurance Association, Global Business Alliance and others). The successful candidate will also work with the impacted business units in determining Zurich’s public policy positions.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Developing campaign strategies based upon advocacy priorities
- Initiation and implementation of global best practice regarding stakeholder engagement strategies
- Interacting and coordinating advocacy efforts with internal stakeholders, executives, global colleagues, Federal legislators and regulators, and trade association staff
- Developing and executing presentations on key issues and emerging trends to internal audiences
- Engage and align with Zurich’s Business Units to provide information on key issues and emerging trends
- Compiling with all laws, regulations, and disclosure rules, particularly with regard to federal lobbying activities and political financial contributions and collaborating with Zurich’s state affairs team in setting advocacy strategy
- Analyze legislation and provide policy advice for impact on Zurich
- Creating and managing federal PAC campaign growth and disbursements working with PAC Director including growing political footprint from grassroots/grasstops standpoint including use of social media
- Engage Zurich executives on execution of strategy including strategic and proactive stakeholders engagement with key executives
- Work with outside consultants on development and execution of federal strategy
- Assist other members of team and Business Units on public policy development and execution
Up to 25% of travel will be required for this role.
- Bachelors Degree in Law or Political Science and 7 or more years of experience in the Legislative Advocacy and Policy Development area
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 9 or more years of experience in the Legislative Advocacy and Policy Development area
- Experience working in government or political operation and/or corporate government affairs
- Masters Degree in Law or Juris Doctor
- Experience synthesizing, summarizing, and presenting complex information in a way that provides clarity and interest
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking and presentations
- Demonstrated experience in building collaborative relationships with staff and peers
- Demonstrated experience successfully applying independent discretion in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage issue development and project management
Imagine working for a values-driven organization that has the ambition and desire to be the best global insurance provider in the world.
Zurich is that place where 55,000 employees across 200 countries and territories are all focused on helping people and helping companies protect what is truly most important to them. We are a values-driven organization that takes pride in the work that we do every day and we have the ambition to be the best global insurer in the world.
EOE Disability / Veterans
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich American Insurance. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-19