The Communications and Technical writing team supports the DHS Science and Technology Directorate as part of a multidisciplinary team of high-performance professionals tackling the client’s most vexing technical and technological challenges, and developing solutions to meet homeland security threats. Communication regarding these efforts is of critical importance, from congressional justifications and hearings, to blog posts and websites, to the development and execution of strategic communication plans. The communications team develops material to support all of the offices within the Science and Technology Directorate, but works particularly closely with senior leadership within the organization.
The responsibilities of these team members may include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as a communications liaison to S&T’s strategic Communication and Outreach Division.
- Organizing material and writing descriptive copy according to establish standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology
- Drafting communications materials for publications, internet, strategic initiatives, user manuals, training materials, installation guides, white papers, reports, etc.
- Reviewing documents for grammar and punctuation, and consistency with the organization’s style and format.
- Performing analyses to identify current and future potential communication channels; identify target audiences; define internal and external perceptions; and identify strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities in those areas.
- Supporting office/facilities planning, coordination and liaison activities.
- Scheduling and maintaining a complex electronic calendar of meetings and appointments, coordinate related arrangements, and reserve conference rooms.
- Developing and executing strategic communication plans.
- Sending and tracking correspondence with clients, speakers, participants, and sponsors/exhibitors.
- Organizing/coordinating/attending meetings, discussions, and seminars
- Working with venues to coordinate meeting room set up, AV requirements, and catering.
- Staffing events and managing onsite registration.
- Management of local meetings (Northern VA, DC, MD) and occasional domestic long-distance travel
- Creating and analyzing event evaluations and prepare post-event reports
- Developing, implementing, and sustaining a Strategic Communications, Marketing and Engagement plan.
- Developing a strategic roadmap for communicating and leveraging agency assets to inform stakeholders how S&T conducts business
- Deploying tactics to engage and openly exchange of information with key individuals and organizations across the stakeholder spectrum.
- Conducting outreach and providing responses that promote continued communications with internal and external stakeholders.
- Assessing, developing, and implementing methods to improve current communications tools internally.
- Assisting in the development of event websites and online registration forms.
- Identifying and recommending potential metrics to track in order to demonstrate program trends and status
- Maintaining organized and logical files for all necessary program documentation, including electronic and hard copy
- Developing, writing, and editing functional descriptions, system specifications, special reports, or any other customer deliverables and documents.
- Providing technical writing support and deciphering directions provided on scripted storyboards, specifications, etc.
- Reviewing documents for technical accuracy in accordance with applicable regulations. Supports content creating and management on networks and web platforms (i.e. Social Media).
- Translating technical information into clear, readable documents to be used by technical and non-technical personnel.
- Selects photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate material.
· Participate on proposals
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- BA/BS and 10+ years of relevant experience or MA/MS and 5+ years of relevant experience
- SECRET clearance
- Eligibility to obtain DHS Suitability
- Demonstrated strong technical writing skills, targeting both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated experience writing concise and clear copy according to established standards.
- Experience providing direct or consultant support to major programs or offices which require varying types of strategic and tactical communications.
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships.
- Strong project management skills.
- Experience and proficiency working with MS Office (Word, Project, Excel and PowerPoint) and collaboration sites (MS SharePoint).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as organizational skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects which includes prioritizing, tracking, attention to detail, follow-up and follow-through to project completion.
- Flexibility/Adaptability to work in a fast-paced environment as well as creativity to propose upgrades/new ideas to enhance communication products.
- Experience providing consistent and clear communication with program managers and leadership.
- Experience supporting DoD and/or DHS components (e.g., TSA, CBP, FPS, NPPD, DNDO/CWMD, USCG, ICE).
- Experience developing communications materials for publication, internet, strategic initiatives, user manuals, training materials, installation guides, functional system descriptions, special reports, white papera, reports, etc.
- Experience creating and managing content on networks and web platforms (e.g. social media).
- Experience in designing, implementing, and managing/executing strategic communication plans, initiatives, and campaigns.
- Knowledge and experience with print and electronic media campaigns.
- Experience with stakeholder engagement and management.
- Experience providing web publishing support including creating/updating web publishing Standard Operating Procedures, preferably for DHS.
- Demonstrated excellence with Microsoft Office.
- Candidates with a Secret, Top Secret, or Top Secret/SCI clearance and DHS Suitability are strongly preferred.
Noblis and our wholly owned subsidiary, Noblis ESI, are solving difficult problems that help our government and our country. We bring the best of scientific thought, management, and engineering expertise with a reputation for independence and objectivity. We support a wide range of government and industry clients in the areas of national security, intelligence, transportation, healthcare, environmental sustainability, and enterprise engineering. Learn more at Noblis -About Us
Why work at a Noblis company?
Our employees find greater meaning in their work and balance the other things in life that matter to them. Our people are our greatest asset. They are exceptionally skilled, knowledgeable, team-oriented, and mission-driven individuals who want to do work that matters and benefits the public.
Noblis has won numerous workplace awards including as a Washington Post “Top Employer” for 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014, and an Ethisphere Institute “Most Ethical Company” for 8 years. Noblis maintains a drug-free workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Job posted: 2020-05-20