Deputy Press Secretary
Civic Nation and When We All Vote are seeking a Deputy Press Secretary to join our fast-paced
communications team as we work to change the culture around voting and help get every
eligible American registered and ready to vote. The Deputy Press Secretary role is an
opportunity to elevate and amplify the stories of When We All Vote, volunteers, and
influencers, and to support the staff across both organizations. The Deputy Press Secretary
reports directly to the National Press Secretary and will be expected to work both remotely and
from the Washington, DC office. The Deputy Press Secretary is responsible for regional and
Latinx media strategy, and maintaining regional and Latinx media relationships. This position
may require campaign-like hours.
This person hired for this position will be an employee of Civic Nation but will work for both
Civic Nation and When We All Vote, two separate 501(c)(3) organizations. This position focuses
predominantly on When We All Vote and we are looking for candidates able to start
CIVIC NATION OVERVIEW
Civic Nation believes that empowering people to take action can change culture. We address
key social issues – access to education, gender equality, civic engagement and dismantling
hate/discrimination – and keep them at the forefront of dialogue and policy. Rather than
approach these issues only with the intent to change policy, we are building grassroots
movements to change the world—from the ground up.
Through organizing, engagement and public awareness we work with public and private
partners to inspire, educate and activate people around the issues that are important to our
country. Our initiatives empower people to be agents of change in their own lives. We inspire
with culturally relevant content that captures attention and sparks action. We educate by
providing direct access to information, tools and resources. We activate by helping
communities organize by supplying toolkits, campaign materials and digital tools.
Current initiatives include the ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, It’s On Us, The United State
of Women, and #VoteTogether. Civic Nation also leads the Creative Alliance, a band of creative
and communication experts who use their powers for the good of the country.
WHEN WE ALL VOTE OVERVIEW
Co-chaired by Michelle Obama and launched in 2018, When We All Vote is a 501(c)(3) nonpartisan, nonprofit on a mission to increase participation in every election and close the race
and age voting gap by changing the culture around voting, harnessing grassroots energy, and
through strategic partnerships to reach every American.
Launched in 2018 by co-chairs Michelle Obama, Tom Hanks, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Janelle
Monae, Chris Paul, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, When We All Vote is changing the culture
around voting using a data-driven and multifaceted approach to increase participation in
● Proactively identifying earned media opportunities for When We All Vote staff, cochairs, and surrogates in targeted media markets.
● Serve as When We All Vote spokesperson for regional and Latinx press in coordination
with the National Press Secretary.
● Aggressively pitch When We All Vote activity to media to generate coverage.
● Help to manage and respond to requests from the media, including tracking requests
and completing media requests in a timely manner.
● Help manage, coordinate, and secure surrogate media coverage.
● Write press releases and advisories, talking points, remarks, memorandums, and digital
● Research and prepare responses to press inquiries, engaging with key internal
● Continue to build and maintain regional press lists in targeted media markets to inform,
invite, and pitch earned media activities and releases.
● Monitor local press.
● Coordinate media opportunities for Civic Nation initiatives.
● Other duties as assigned.
● 2-3 years traditional communications or PR experience on electoral campaigns and/or a
political, community, labor organization, government agency, or PR agency; or a
bachelor degree in communications, journalism, or other related field.
● Demonstrated superior writing skills including experience writing Op-Eds, press releases,
fact sheets and other media related materials.
● Experience with Latinx, regional, political, culture or related reporters.
● Fluency in Spanish.
● Ability to both work independently and take direction from communications team
leadership when necessary.
● Ability to work collaboratively across departments.
● Strong analytical skills, organizational skills and attention to detail.
● Ability to multitask, create and achieve goals, meet deadlines and creatively solve
● Ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment that will include long hours, nights, and
weekends, including a minimum 6-day week.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid health,
dental, and vision insurance; generous paid time off, access to 401k plan, and more.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line
Deputy Press Secretary. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and include why you
would like to work for Civic Nation and When We All Vote and your salary requirements.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Civic Nation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity among our staff
and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any all personnel actions
without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual
orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability,
or any other legally protected basis. Civic Nation does not tolerate any unlawful discrimination
and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
Job posted: 2020-07-06