The Communications Director is responsible for driving the robust internal and external communications strategy and tactics to achieve leadership objectives, advance the company’s culture, and foster employee engagement for Sobi North America. This position creates and executes a regular communications cadence, including events on behalf of the Leadership Team in order to amplify business strategy (ie NSM, POAs etc), clarify how employees fit into overall strategy; advance synthesis of strategy across the company; promote positive company image; inspire loyalty among employees; and cultivate the company culture while ensuring an impactful Sobi NA brand. This position will lead the development and execution of the corporate communications strategies and plans to support Sobi’s business strategy and goals in order to promote our corporate image, reputation and relevance. This individual will be responsible to ensure consistent and effective communications across the North American Market, U.S. communications for office-based and field-based employees and external communications through social channels, awards platforms, company partners to enhance Sobi NA relevance.
This position offers great opportunities to work closely with executive leadership as part of a small but growing team of people who are passionate about treating rare diseases and place high value on collaboration, innovation and teamwork.
Essential Responsibilities/Scope of the job:
Including, but not limited to the following
- Responsible for the development of strategic plans for communications, corporate social responsibility, internal engagement, external communications and Sobi NA relevance.
- Communicate corporate narrative in an approachable way that effectively translates business direction and values into messages and communication tactics that are meaningful and engaging for employees at all levels.
- Act as a point of guidance and advisor across the company on internal communications activities.
- Plan, write, edit and deliver internal communications aligned to the corporate narrative, company values and business objectives.
- Align to corporate strategy and inspire increased employee engagement while leveraging advanced writing and editing skills with the ability to translate complex business or brand ideas into clear and concise messages that are easy to understand.
- Able to write executive level communications to support business leaders with speed and accuracy- including Head of NA.
- Create integrated internal communications plan and manage master calendar with a cross-functional approach to ensure relevance and consistency with business strategy and goals. Work with cross-functional teams as needed to develop and execute the internal communications plan and platforms.
- Assume significant responsibility for several other communications sub-specialties to be determined based on background experience and interest, potentially including:
- Responsible for creation and pull through of the Sobi story and material around the corporate identity.
- Responsible for Sobi NA intranet, inside Sobi, Sobi field portal and events (Town Hall meetings, NSM, POAs, ad-hoc etc.).
- Internal communications activities including Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives, create strategy aligning to Sobi values and coordinating with CSR/Culture committee for company roll out.
- Content development including key messages, press releases, Q&A documents, media pitches, award nominations, etc.
- Product launch communications, including disease-awareness campaigns in partnership with stakeholders
- Partner with human resources on communications around core values and engagement while infusing the Sobi story and relevance
- Seamlessly flex between big picture strategic development and pull-through of tactical activities
- Partner with vendor/ agency teams to strategize and determine priorities to drive key project/priorities for on time delivery within budget and metrics.
- Own and manage company’s internal and external communications policies and procedures.
Position Qualifications (knowledge, skills, abilities, education, experience):
- 6-8 years of experience in communications, PR, public affairs and/or marketing either at a biotech/pharmaceutical company or with a communications/PR/public affairs agency working with biotech/pharmaceutical clients
- Strong knowledge of digital property management and social media (i.e., LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook) in a professional capacity, with working knowledge of pharma/biotech industry -specific rules and regulations such as fair balance, staying on-label, etc.
- Strong business judgment when making decisions; always considers the relevance/impact of each decision on the business and Sobi brand
- Experience managing external vendors and partners, including expectations and budget
- Experience in diverse public affairs/communications subspecialties such as internal communications, thought-leadership, corporate social responsibility, corporate identity, media relations, product PR, patient advocacy and/or government relations. Rare disease experience a plus
- Self-motivated; proven track record of working independently with minimal direction, high level of urgency driven by thirst to learn and passion for serving patients
- Excellent written & verbal communications skills; able to draft/adapt messaging appropriately for diverse audiences (healthcare professionals, patients, media, etc.)
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication, award nominations that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Social media experience, especially for corporate executives and corporate communications, is preferred
- Ability to work well under pressure, successfully navigate ambiguity and succeed in a rapidly changing, fast-paced, often unpredictable environment with multiple competing priorities
- High level of attention to detail and organization; able to create error-free materials and execute across multiple workstreams simultaneously
- Experience at expertly managing sensitive situations, crisis communications and issues impacting reputation
- Must be located in Boston area; position is based in Waltham office.
- A Bachelor’s degree in related field is required.Write qualifications in bullet points here
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-18