Director, External Affairs
- 7 years of relevant experience in an external-facing, policy-oriented role or related public relations experience in managing issues-based communications
- Demonstrated deep relationships with community advocacy and civil rights groups, specifically in the areas our housing and mortgage finance
- Extensive knowledge of the federal government institutions and agencies and their processes and functions
The Director, External Affairs is responsible for managing relationships with external stakeholders at the local, state and national level. The scope of the role is to engage directly and indirectly to influence strategic planning, goal setting, and problem identification and resolution while building and protecting the reputation of the Rock Family of Companies. This director works at the intersection of communications and policy, helping to tell our story with advocacy groups, policymakers and other influencers in Washington, D.C., and in states throughout the country. The position is based in Washington, D.C., and works closely with colleagues on the Public Affairs, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Investments teams. The External Affairs team manages external communications on topics that drive public discussion about the impact of technology and mortgage finance around the world. This includes issues like regulatory reform, data privacy, affordable housing, and philanthropy and policy issues such as student debt, equity in homeownership, and community investments. The team works to increase understanding of the issues, shine a light on the Rock Family of Companies’ work, and demonstrate the company’s commitment to building trust.
- Manage and coordinate Quicken Loans interactions with external stakeholders, and in coordination with the Director of Federal Policy, synthesize and analyze external policy perspectives to inform the executive leadership’s decision-making, Quicken Loans strategic direction and overall messaging
- Support and help manage government affairs interactions with external stakeholders by working closely with relevant Quicken Loans teams to plan, appropriately document, and execute rollouts of announcements and federal policy deliverables to external stakeholders; draft, review and circulate effective and timely rollout memos and supporting talking points for Quicken Loans leaders and team members
- Direct inter-office coordination between relevant teams (e.g., Diversity and Inclusion, PR, Business Development, Community Investments) responsible for legislative, federal, industry and consumer group engagement to advance Quicken Loans community and multicultural work
- In support of communications and PR teams, lead strategic planning and execution of Quicken Loans announcements related to government affairs; develop internal briefing documents for executive leadership, including talking points, remarks, and internal company-wide communications; and inform government affairs messaging and drive timing of deliverables
- When necessary, support briefing and preparation of executive leadership in advance of significant internal and external announcements, high-level meetings, and congressional hearings and briefings
- Prioritize and coordinate external stakeholder engagements for government affairs team members and leadership – including state, local and federal – in support of Quicken Loans external outreach and policy agenda; research and gather information related to external requests; identify appropriate attendance for meetings and events; and gather information for readouts from Quicken Loans interactions with external stakeholders
- Oversee logistical aspects of Quicken Loans-hosted Community Advisory Forum (CAF) meetings and event planning, including coordination with events and travel teams on venue selection, CAF member travel, and supporting documentation; create and maintain event agendas, tick-tocks, and other documentation in support of CAF meetings and events; oversee additional engagement with CAF members, such as quarterly calls and ongoing meetings with members; and prepare post-event readouts and summaries
- Develop and coordinate Quicken Loans partnerships with external groups relevant to government affairs, including housing counselors and realtors, and identify business opportunities, provide sponsorship recommendations, and when appropriate execute on and manage ongoing partnerships
- Create and model an environment that fosters and sustains diversity, knowledge-sharing and consensus-building
- Demonstrate a culture of excellence through behavior consistent with living the ISMs
Who We Are
Rock Central is a Detroit-based professional services company obsessed with delivering innovative, effective solutions to meet the diverse needs of our clients. From legal and finance to technology and public relations, our expertise spans from executive consulting all the way to tactical implementation. We thrive at the intersection of people, process and technology and empower our partners to unleash the maximum potential of their business through unmatched partnership and the entrepreneurial spirit of a startup. From the smallest venture to the largest enterprises, we believe having an impact is never a question – it’s part of our DNA.
This is an outline of the primary responsibilities of this position. As with everything in life, things change. The tasks and responsibilities can be changed, added to, removed, amended, deleted and modified at any time by the leadership group.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-03-24