Director, Government Affairs
Who We Are:
The Atlanta Community Food Bank is working to end hunger in our community with the food, people and big ideas needed so that no one worries where their next meal is coming from. Since 1979, we’ve been providing food for a growing network of nonprofit partners – including food pantries, community kitchens, child care centers, night shelters and senior centers. We currently serve more than 700 partners in 29 counties across metro Atlanta and north Georgia.
About the Role:
The Director of Government Affairs leads Atlanta Community Food Bank’s (ACFB) strategic advocacy, policy and government affairs efforts to promote governmental policies, initiatives and programs which contribute to the well-being of low-income persons and strengthens the Food Bank’s mission. The Director also leads all advocacy and policy initiatives related to the Food Bank’s Strategic Plan. The Director develops effective collaborative advocacy efforts with other nonprofits, Food Banks, organizations and individuals; develops an advocacy network of ACFB partner agencies, stakeholders and the general public; and reviews, writes and evaluates legislation and public agency regulations. Working with the Data & Insights Analyst, the Director initiates and manages data collection and reports related to advocacy and policy initiatives. Performs additional tasks as assigned and contributes additional work as deemed necessary and appropriate by ACFB management. This position reports to the President of the Food Bank.
What You’ll Need:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Business, Public Administration or related field
- Five or more years of experience in public policy and government affairs work, regulatory groups or lobbying groups.
- Five or more years of experience managing or leading public policy or government affairs teams or legislative efforts.
- Experience with developing and implementing state government affairs strategies, including short- and long-term goals and establishing methods of measuring the plan’s impact on and contribution to corporate objectives
- Proven ability to work effectively with top-level government officials and community leaders.
- Must be able to demonstrate experience with professional verbal communications skills and exceptional written and oral presentation skills
- Must have previous experience managing and developing a team.
Even Better if You Have:
- A Masters Degree is some related field
And You’ll Love this Position if:
- You have sound political judgment and the ability to anticipate emerging government, public or community/social issues of importance to the industry
- You have been successful in a diverse team while navigating a complex set of stakeholder relationships
- You are proactive, organized, detailed– committed to a “lead by example” work ethic
You May Be a Fit for this Position if:
- You have strong public speaking and lobbying skills, including the ability to effectively offer testimony before legislative and regulatory bodies and perform one-on-one lobby visits
- You have experience building partnerships and strategic alliances
- You are mission focused
There may be some Physical Demands and Travel:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Expected travel time for this position is up to 25% per year
What You’ll Do:
Strategic Leadership/Tactical Execution:
- Leads ACFB’S strategic advocacy and public education efforts to promote governmental polices, initiatives and programs which contribute to the well being of low-income persons and strengthens the Food Bank’s mission.
- Develops and oversees WIC, EITC and Food Stamp initiatives as directed by Strategic Plan
- Monitors trends and research regarding target populations, policies, public programs
- Monitors trends and analyzes proposed legislation, appropriations and agency rule-making for impact.
- Aligns ACFB advocacy efforts with Strategic Plan
- Provides regular updates to staff and stakeholders
Builds and Nurtures Relationships
- Develops effective collaborative advocacy efforts with other nonprofits, food banks, stakeholders.
- Manages the ACFB’s Advocacy Champions program.
- Defines requirements and manages and oversees the work and effectiveness of contractors and vendors.
- Develops and maintains a network of stakeholders to promote ACFB public policy initiatives.
- Facilitates data acquisition and analysis for stakeholders and staff. Coordinates with research partners in policy analysis and recommendations.
- Develops a strategy to raise the visibility of poverty and hunger issues during the state legislative session, in local political venues as well as the media.
- Develops an outreach and advocacy plan to build local support for improving access to asset-building public benefit programs
- Builds coalitions with appropriate local, statewide and national partners to advance the Food Bank’s mission
- Analyzes and consults with the CEO and other internal stakeholders regarding appropriate advocacy issues prior to making commitments on behalf of the ACFB.
- Serves as liaison to the Georgia Food Bank Association, and other partner organizations related to government affairs and policy work.
Reviews, writes and evaluates proposed legislation, appropriations and public agency regulations on local, state and federal levels
- Build and maintain positive relationships with elected and appointed officials on behalf of the ACFB and maintain a presence at the State Capitol during the annual state legislative session.
- Write proposed state legislation, fiscal notes on issues related to poverty and hunger.
- Prepare and present public comment regarding state and federal budgetary, regulatory and programmatic issues. Provide public testimony on same.
- Follow state and local budget processes as deemed appropriate and necessary. Offer public comment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-01-17