Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Government Affairs, US
If you find science, speed, and success exhilarating, you have come to the right place.
Novavax, Inc (Nasdaq:NVAX) is a biotechnology company that creates transformational vaccines that address some of the world’s most pressing infectious diseases. We have more than a decade of experience contending with some of the world’s most devastating diseases, including COVID-19, seasonal influenza, RSV, Ebola, MERS, and SARS. Hard-won lessons and significant advances illustrate that our proven technology has tremendous potential to make a substantial contribution to public health worldwide.
Our scientists are committed to developing vaccine candidates for some of the world’s toughest viral threats by utilizing the power of our innovative recombinant nanoparticle vaccine platform. Our vaccine technology combines the power and speed of genetic engineering with the immunogenicity enhancing properties of our Matrix-M™ adjuvant to efficiently produce highly immunogenic particles targeting some of the most pressing viral infectious diseases.
Novavax, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic.
Summary of the Position:
We are seeking a Director, Government Affairs, US to lead our federal government engagement in Washington, DC. This position reports to the Senior Director, Government Affairs, within the Commercial Organization.
- Lead Novavax engagement with policymakers and their staff in the US Senate, House of Representatives, and relevant administrative bodies, and maintain strong working relationships.
- Shape corporate messaging that is used with external stakeholders and policymakers and develop materials in support of policy positions.
- Define and execute initiatives that address implications of legislative and regulatory developments and identify opportunities to advance Novavax policy agenda.
- Develop and execute upon the policy and government affairs agenda as part of the broader Commercial strategy that supports multiple vaccine launches and promotes optimal consumer access to our novel vaccines.
- Monitor political and legislative developments and analyze their impact to Novavax.
- Participate in external organizations and trade associations engaged in public policy and government affairs activities.
- Partner with the Novavax Communications, Advocacy, Market Access, Marketing, Medical Affairs, and Sales Teams to drive policy development that is aligned with the Commercial strategy for the US.
- Ensure all activities are in compliance with Novavax policy, regulatory, and legal obligations.
- Lead the development of metrics to demonstrate success of key policy initiatives and impact to Novavax.
- Contribute to the establishment and management of a federal political action committee.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Preferred: advanced degree in political science, health policy, law, business, health sciences or any other related field.
- 8+ years of experience in US policy and/or government affairs roles in the private or public sector.
- Including recent experience in the U.S. Government (Legislative or Administrative).
- Strong understanding of US healthcare system and regulatory environment is preferred.
- Robust understanding of US stakeholders and decision-making processes.
- Demonstrated analytical skills to assess how legislation and policy changes impact the company and business environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build relationships with US policymakers.
- Strategic planning skills with detail-oriented approach to execution.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to influence and effectively engage internally and externally.
- Ability to advise and interface successfully with senior executives.
- Capacity to deliver high quality results and overcome challenges under pressure.
- Track record of strategic thinking and strong leadership skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and cross-functionally with multiple internal departments.
Novavax offers a base salary, annual bonus, equity grants, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Novavax is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals on an at-will basis, regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Except where prohibited by applicable state law, this position requires that you be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless you need a reasonable accommodation or qualify for an exemption.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-05-02