Director – Government Relations
The mission of the Government Relations department is to promote and protect Memorial Healthcare System’s best interests within the legislative bodies at the local, state, and federal levels of government.
• Keep current with legislative, regulatory and policy issues related to hospital system and the healthcare industry.
• Work with senior management and hospital administration to research, monitor and analyze legislation and regulatory issues at the federal, state and local level that may have an impact on the organization.
• Develop strategies and actions to be taken by senior management and hospital administration.
• Prepare state and federal public policy agendas and post-session summaries.
• Lobby directly and indirectly on public policy and regulatory issues impacting the organization on the local, state and federal level.
• Provide ongoing updates and guidance to key internal and external stakeholders.
• In addition to policy and regulatory affairs, identify and managed state and federal appropriation initiatives.
• Work with the hospital’s grants management team to help identify possible options for state and federal funding.
• Develop and implement methods to educate key audiences about government relations issues impacting hospital and the healthcare industry.
• Serve as the liaison to agencies, elected officials and staff and maintain strong relationships and frequent communication with local, state and federal elected officials and appointed officials.
• Manage contract lobbyists at the state and federal level.
• Maintain relationships and frequent contact with Florida Hospital Association, Safety Net Hospital Alliance of Florida, America’s Essential Hospitals, Statutory Teaching Hospital Council, American Hospital Association, Children’s Hospital Association, Safety Net Hospital for Pharmaceutical Access, etc.
• Develop and mobilize advocacy strategies and utilize appropriately.
• Serve as government relations representative at community events and boards, whenever possible.
• Evaluate results and report progress.
• Responsible for managing Government Relations Representative
Education equivalent experience:
• MBA, MPH, MHA or relevant Master’s Degree
Complexity of Work: Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision. Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
Required Work Experience: 10 years relevant professional work experience.
• Keyboard Entry 60.00%
• Repetitive Movement Hand/Arm 60.00%
• Sitting 60.00%
• Standing 60.00%
• Walking 60.00%
• Audible Speech 60.00%
• Hearing Acuity 60.00%
• Depth Perception 60.00%
• Distinguish Color 60.00%
• Seeing – Far 60.00%
• Seeing – Near 60.00%
• Computer Monitor 60.00%
Since its inception in 1953, Memorial Healthcare System has been a leader in providing high-quality healthcare services to South Florida residents. Today, it is one of the largest public healthcare systems in the nation with over 13,000 team members and highly regarded for its exceptional patient- and family-centered care. Memorial’s patient, physician and employee satisfaction rates are some of the most admired in the country, and the system is recognized as a national leader in quality healthcare.
Memorial has a reputation as one of Florida’s leading healthcare systems and is supported by a distinguished medical staff. In fact, the vast majority of physicians are board certified or board qualified in their specialties and have been trained at many of the nation’s finest medical schools and hospitals. Because of its distinguished medical staff and services, Memorial draws patients from South Florida and beyond.
Many prestigious healthcare awards have been earned by Memorial Healthcare System and its facilities. The accolades include: Modern Healthcare magazine’s Best Places to Work in Healthcare, Florida Trend magazine’s Best Companies to Work for in Florida, 100 Top Hospitals, Consumer Choice Award, Best-Run Hospital, Best Nursing Staff, Best Pediatric Hospital and Best Maternity Hospital.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended, nor should it be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-15