Director, State Affairs
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Role & Responsibilities:
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
Our Global Government Affairs office represents the company on important public policy issues around the world, before Congress and the Administration, and state governments across the country. Global government affair colleagues work with departments to advance their international, U.S. federal and state policy agendas and support their business priorities and works with legislators, government officials, consumer leaders, business partners and trade associations to advance the policy interests of the company.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role:
- In collaboration with VP state governments affairs, identify, assess and influence legislative and regulatory proposals in assigned issue areas and jurisdictions; support business development initiatives involving select government agencies.
- Work collaboratively across the enterprise. Leverage skills and subject matter expertise among colleagues in Global Government Affairs and across other functions.
- Counsel internal business leaders on political dynamics and strategies to advance public policy objectives.
- Manage external counsel and strategically engage with trade associations and partner coalitions.
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with public officials and policy groups across the political spectrum.
- Promote an ethical culture including but not limited to compliance with applicable lobbying, campaign finance and disclosure laws.
- Assess and implement best practices for industry-leading corporate government affairs program.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Qualified to practice law
- 5+ years of relevant in government affairs, preferably in a corporate or business association environment
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to identify and pursue strategic business objectives
- Experience in financial services, information technology, or consumer-facing industries a plus Ability to handle multiple tasks, take on new responsibilities and prioritize work in a dynamic, deadline intensive environment
- Ability to interpret and apply law and regulation in a practical, hands-on, common sense manner
- Ability to gain credibility, manage expectations, and develop strong working relationships with GCO colleagues and business clients; convey clear advice to clients
- Strong process-management skills and ability to help identify and implement improvements in work process to enhance efficiency and productivity.
- High energy, team-oriented, self-starter, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong work ethic and personal accountability
- Location: 801 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20004
- Travel: Expected travel 25%
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Job posted: 2019-11-18