Director, State Government Affairs
Government Affairs Policy and Legal Analysis
- Initiatives mainly focused on state level government relations and special state initiatives/projects.
- Duties may include communicating with legislators, key state administrative officials and regulators to positively influence individuals in the state level government relations arena.
- This role will partner with others involved in Government Affairs and policy activities on behalf of the company, and may represent the company on critical government policy issues.
- Research and analysis of current and proposed state laws, regulations and requirements for educational institutions in all U.S. and some international jurisdictions.
- May assist Vice President and Manager of Government Affairs with drafting federal legislation and other possible federal government policy affairs.
- Continuously surveys the regulatory environment for potential challenges to SEI’s subsidiaries and programs.
- Relationship building with state Attorney General and Governor’s offices.
- Identifying opportunities for SEI to partner with state and local governments to generate new business opportunities.
- Solid business acumen with knowledge of current industry policies, practices and competitive landscape, as well as future trends and challenges.
- Strong working knowledge of state and local legislative processes with strong regulatory knowledge.
- Significant experience reading, analyzing and interpreting legislative and regulatory documents.
- Ability to convey company views and positions in an open, honest manner; and to offer solutions that generate favorable action.
- Ability to build strong relationships, collaborate and work well with cross-functional colleagues.
- Capacity to be a quick learner of new subject matter and ability to adapt nimbly to a rapidly changing external environment.
- Able to assess and manage risk, accept accountability, and to offer viable alternative strategies, as necessary, to achieve goals.
- Strong problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated initiative, resourcefulness and attention to detail in execution of strategies.
- Capability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously and with strong organizational skills and attention to prioritization among conflicting demands.
- Work effectively independently and yet maintain close working collaboration with colleagues
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with unquestioned personal standards of conduct, work ethic and integrity, and an ability to maintain calm under pressure
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and ability to learn other key software applications.
- 5-7 years’ experience researching and interpreting laws and regulations or working in a regulatory or legislative environment.
- Experience working in an academic or educational setting preferred.
- Experience communicating with state education departments and state licensing boards a plus.
- Previous direct government affairs experience strongly preferred.
- From an accredited institution; Bachelor’s degree required Graduate degree or JD strongly preferred.
- Job based out of Herndon, VA or Minneapolis, MN
- Must be able to travel 20% – 35% of time.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Typical office setting.
- Mobility within the office including movement from floor to floor.
- Travel via plane, car, and metro may be required to perform this job.
- Must be able to work more than 40 hours per week when business needs warrant
- Access information using a computer.
- Effectively communicate, both up and down the management chain.
- Effectively cope with stressful situations
- Strong mental acuity
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality are essential functions of this job.
- Other essential functions and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete our application process, please contact our Human Resources Department at Careers@strategiced.com.
Job posted: 2019-03-26