Federal Government Relations Director
At Advocate Aurora Health we understand that a healthy environment is vital to human health. Nationally recognized for environmental excellence, we strive to mitigate environmental harm and contribute to the well being and health of our associates, patients, visitors and the communities we are privileged to serve. Be a part of a movement in health care invested in reducing its environmental impact and creating healthier spaces for our patients to heal, physicians to practice and associates to work.
Office Location: Washington, DC
Develops and leads strategic internal and external federal government relations initiatives in support of Advocate Aurora Health’s mission and strategic goals. Leads specific internal communication efforts regarding health policy initiatives and educates and lobby elected officials relative to Advocate’s health policy priorities. Partners with internal clinical, legal, operations and administrative parties to help develop Advocate Aurora’s legislative and regulatory policy positions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, Political Science or related field
- 5-10 years of experience in government relations that includes experiences in developing and administering health policy and legislative agendas; and developing relationships with elected officials and agency administrators at the local, state, and/or federal levels.
- Advanced knowledge of government programs and policies that have a significant impact on health care delivery systems, such as Medicaid and Medicare programs.
- Thorough understanding of legislative/executive branch processes, including budget and appropriations.
- Demonstrated experience in the design and implementation of successful policy advocacy strategies.
- Strong ability to plan, organize and manage complex organizational initiatives.
- Demonstrated success in building strong coalitions of support with key external stakeholders.
- Ability to present a positive image of the organization while always maintaining a high level of integrity.
- Leads internal and external health policy projects such as developing annual legislative agendas, researching and authoring policy issue briefs for members of the U.S. Congress, and maintaining timely general communications with legislators and staff.
- Tracks, assesses and monitors relevant federal legislative proposals. Troubleshoots legislative opportunities and vulnerabilities with partners on internal finance, legal, administrative, business development and clinical teams.
- Assists in managing external annual contracts for federal advocacy support. Manages department goals and achievement throughout the year through external vendors and other internal partners.
- Authors and manages government relations content for Advocate Intranet, Internet and social media. Leads internal legislative education efforts for associates, such as presentations and seminars.
- Expands Advocate Aurora’s profile building initiatives with federal leaders and committees of jurisdiction through briefings and targeted communications. Drafts legislative summaries and talking points for system leadership in this effort.
- Monitors and engages federal and state agencies in the development of health care regulation; identifying internal stakeholders and experts, coordinating comment letters, drafting testimony and managing follow up for internal audiences. Determines and manages internal deadlines for multiple regulatory initiatives throughout the year. Leads special regulatory projects as determined by Advocate Aurora senior leadership.
- Plans, manages and executes initiatives to expand Advocate Aurora’s impact and profile in Washington, such as executive and patient visits and congressional staff briefings. Conducts comprehensive research, analysis, and develops resulting strategy in support of department and system initiatives.
- Supports and mentors hospital leaders in understanding and participating in health policy advocacy. Executes policy-focused media relations efforts and social media strategy in coordination with Public Affairs.
- Assists in bookkeeping of government relations and lobbying initiatives as required by state and federal law.
- Supports department outreach to media and community stakeholder regarding government issues including fielding story and photo ideas and drafting content as needed.
About Advocate Health Care
Advocate Health Care is the largest health system in Illinois and one of the largest Accountable Care Organizations in the country. A national leader in population health management, Advocate operates nearly 400 sites of care and 12 hospitals, including three of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals, the state’s largest integrated children’s network, five Level I trauma centers (the state’s highest designation in trauma care), three Level II trauma centers, one of the area’s largest home health and hospice companies and one of the region’s largest medical groups. Advocate trains more primary care physicians and residents at its four teaching hospitals than any other health system in the state. As a not-for-profit, mission-based health system affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the United Church of Christ, Advocate contributed $692 million in charitable care and services to communities across Chicagoland and Central Illinois in 2016. Advocate is part of Advocate Aurora Health, the 10th largest not-for-profit, integrated health system in the United States. We help people live well.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-10-24