Federal Government Relations Manager
Develop and drive implementation of corporate Federal public policy by managing several of HP’s key Sustainable Impact policy priorities, including climate, human rights, and digital equity, and serving as the liaison to Members of Congress, the Administration and trade associations. The position reports to the Head of Americas Government Affairs. Located in Washington, DC.
Elements of the role include:
- Work with HP’s business units and senior leaders to understand the company’s point-of-view on public policy
- Lead and direct large, complex government relations projects and programs
- Help analyze proposed legislative actions and determine the potential risk/opportunity impact on the organization and its 2030 Sustainable Impact goals
- Represent HP with Members of Congress, the Administration, and other governmental agencies, including maintaining existing relationships and forming strategically important new ones
- Work with trade associations and other third parties to implement our policy priorities
- Day-to-day management of external consultants
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Strategic planning and implementation – Work with the GR team to develop strategic plan to support the company’s long- and short-term goals. Implement, monitor and adapt the plan as needed including clear goals and other metrics. Strong project management skills are key.
- Policy /Legislative/Regulatory analysis – Stay abreast of current trends and information to anticipate opportunities and risks that emerge. Evaluate pending legislation, policy and regulations; determine impact to HP and help develop the company’s response. Create documents to brief company executives on legislative matters and provide guidance/recommendations as well as to communicate positions externally. Strong writing skills and PowerPoint proficiency are must haves.
- Relationship Building/Management – Foster and build positive relationships with strategically important government officials, opinion leaders, third-party agencies and other external stakeholders; influence public policy, monitor government initiatives and advocate for specific public policies to advance the company’s objectives. Represent the company at government forums and industry group meetings.
- Management – Manage outside consultants and other resources that support the legislative and regulatory agenda to drive strategy, and help with messaging, external outreach and the development of relevant communications tools.
What you’ll bring to the team:
- Degrees in Political Science, Public Policy/Administration, Law, Business Administration, Communications or other related field
- Minimum 6-10+ years of progressive experience with federal legislation, grassroots advocacy, lobbying, or campaign organizing experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- People and issue management experience with demonstrated skills with risk assessment, setting priorities and negotiating among competing priorities
- Demonstrated leadership/management, strategic planning, negotiation, and influence management skills
- Successful multi-tasker experienced working with tight deadlines and competing demands
- Ability to translate business strategy into product/program strategy
- Proven business liaison capabilities including effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; exceptional listening skills; ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization from senior executives to staff level; strong presentation skills necessary to communicate and influence a wide range of audiences
Where legally permitted, an offer of employment is conditional upon you providing proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (as defined by the CDC) as of your first day of employment.
You’re out to reimagine and reinvent what’s possible—in your career as well as the world around you. So are we. We love taking on tough challenges, disrupting the status quo, and creating what’s next. We’re in search of talented people who are inspired by big challenges, driven to learn and grow, and dedicated to making a meaningful difference.
HP is a technology company that operates in more than 170 countries around the world united in creating technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere.
Our history: HP’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion – it’s just who we are. From the boardroom to factory floor, we create a culture where everyone is respected and where people can be themselves, while being a part of something bigger than themselves. We celebrate the notion that you can belong at HP and bring your authentic self to work each and every day. When you do that, you’re more innovative and that helps grow our bottom line. Come to HP and thrive!
Job posted: 2021-11-03