The position of Federal Government Relations Manager must be capable of understanding the substantive policy issues associated with the quick service industry, particularly as it relates to labor issues, taxes, food safety, health care, technology, and other business drivers. The individual will be required to assist in developing and implementing an aggressive strategic plan for successfully achieving specific government relations results that are favorable to the interests of the McDonald’s system. The individual will have excellent oral and written communication skills, be a strategic thinker, and serve as an ambassador for the McDonald’s Brand.
In formulating and implementing a successful federal government relations program for McDonald’s, the individual must work across multiple issue areas, internal and external stakeholders, including legislative consultants and trade associations. He/she will work effectively with members of the Government Relations team, other corporate departments, owner-operators, senior management and regional management. The candidate will assist in forming coalitions, help run initiatives, and directly lobby key political leaders. The successful candidate will possess significant political acumen and have established federal government relations expertise and strategic planning capabilities. Strong writing skills are essential, as this position requires communication to a variety of audiences.
- Develop strategies on regulatory and legislative issues impacting the McDonald’s system in the federal government.
- Advocate and work with third party groups to best address system priorities.
- Establish and maintain a sophisticated political network.
- Be a proactive strategic agent on behalf of McDonald’s and help set the agenda, form the agenda and shape future events.
- Maintain and advocate for McDonald’s in associations.
- Partner with regional staff to amplify government relations efforts initiatives.
- Help direct field activities when grassroots action is necessary to influence legislation
- Assist in developing and maintaining communication pathways with operator leadership, regional leadership, and senior management, advising them on all matters relating to local legislation and public policy issues of interest.
- Work closely with state and local staff and provide information, advice and perspective concerning federal government leadership, policies and activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science/Government, Public Administration, Business Administration, Communications or related area
- 5+ years of experience in federal government affairs
- Experience in congress/federal government agency and private sector
- Familiarity with industry preferred
- Campaign and lobbying experience a plus
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, deadline-oriented dynamic environment with constant change
- Detail-oriented, self-starter and good team player
- Creative thinker, solid experience in concept to execution of new ideas
- Solution oriented problem solver
- Networking and relationship-building skills are imperative
- Ability to influence others outside direct line of control, management
- High level of strategic focus, planning, perspective
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
Job Posted: March 12, 2017