Government Affairs Director
Choosing a career with ECMC Group means joining a nonprofit corporation with a mission to help students succeed. With a vibrant mission and values, great benefits, and strong community involvement, ECMC Group companies are an ideal team to join.
Reporting to the SVP of Corporate Affairs, the Director, Government Affairs leads the development and implementation of the organization’s strategy and activities involving relationships with local, state, and federal government officials, and is responsible for the day-to-day execution, tracking and reporting of initiatives related to government laws, regulations and standards. The Director, Government Affairs possesses deep knowledge of local, state and federal government as well as industry organizations, regulatory agencies and other governmental and regulatory oversight entities, and utilizes that knowledge to represent ECMC Group’s strategic interests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and documents ECMC Group’s policy preferences, and tracks legislative and regulatory issues that affect the organization; proposes proactive efforts to ensure that legislators and policymakers at the local, state, and federal levels understand ECMC Group’s positions
- Develops an annual local, state, and federal Government Affairs action plan for review and approval by the SVP of Corporate Affairs and executive leadership
- Updates the Government Affairs strategic plan at least annually
- Monitors and helps analyze the impact of legislative and other governmental and regulatory developments in areas of interest to ECMC Group and its affiliates at the local, state, and federal level, including proposed legislation and regulations, governmental actions and policy initiatives, and governmental personnel changes; prepares assessments of the prospects of legislation in process including likelihood of passage; alerts SVP of Corporate Affairs, executive leadership, and the Board of Directors to proposed legislation that potentially positively or negatively affects the interests of ECMC Group.
- Develops and/or maintains briefing notes, bi-monthly/quarterly updates, and other relevant reporting for the SVP of Corporate Affairs, executive leadership team, Board of Directors, and both internal and external audiences
- Engages key local, state and Federal government, policy and industry leaders involved in student loan issues and elementary, secondary and post-secondary education issues; manages and coordinates meetings with executives and government officials to communicate organizational priorities
- Maintains relationships with members of Congress and state legislators (especially those with committee assignments relevant to ECMC Group’s interests), legislative staff, policymakers in the U.S. Department of Education, and other Executive agencies; monitors Congressional and state legislative committee meetings, including testimony; advises the SVP of Corporate Affairs, executive leadership, and Board of Directors on items of relevance to ECMC Group
- Tracks issues and maintains relationships with key associations of importance to ECMC Group and its affiliate companies, e.g., the National Council of Higher Education Resources (NCHER), the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), the Education Finance Council (EFC), the Association of Credit and Collection Professionals (ACA, International), National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), National Governors Association (NGA), National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG), etc.
- Participates on committees and working groups for various trade and industry associations; builds outreach and relationship management strategies for key industry individuals; proactively seeks opportunities to develop new business opportunities
- Manages government relations consultants retained by ECMC Group
- Identifies and develops key points for discussions with legislators/regulators and/or their staffs relative to an issue or proposed legislation
- Prepares and manages the annual government affairs budget
- Complies with all ECMC Group Policies
- Performs other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Master’s Degree
- Legal background
- 7+ years of relevant experience with the legislative and administrative policymaking process at the federal and/or state level.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Proven technical skill and ability in developing and implementing strategic government relations programs; strong analytic ability and sound judgment
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills; strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong critical thinking skills balanced with an open-minded approach and the ability to think on one’s feet
- Proven ability to lead government relations efforts in a team environment
- Excellent project management skills; ability to effectively organize, plan, control and prioritize work/projects and consistently carry out job responsibilities to meet deadlines; efficiently manages resources; understands work/project scope, key players, urgency, inherent risks and business benefits/ business concepts;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, manage conflicting priorities, handle multiple tasks/projects concurrently, and deal with ambiguity
- Proficient at building successful relationships with all levels of external government/regulatory stakeholders and internal clients; anticipates, understands and manages client expectations; regularly communicates progress to appropriate stakeholder
- Consistently carries out job responsibilities to meet deadlines and delivers on commitments as promised. Acknowledges when commitments are not met and takes appropriate steps to fulfill what has been promised
- Clearly and effectively conveys information to individuals and/or groups, including the ability to choose the appropriate method or methods of communication
- Demonstrates the ability to analyze, identify and solve problems while using sound judgment. Able to implement solutions to address business issues. Knows who to involve and takes appropriate action
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism, maturity and confidence
- Displays and promotes high standards of ethical conduct and behaviors
- Manages the budget
- Reports to (title only) – SVP, Corporate Affairs
- Direct Reports (titles reporting to this position) – None
- Contacts (significant internal/external) – Enterprise officers, Congressional staff and officials of the Department of Education and units of state governments
Office: Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office environment that requires normal safety precautions (such as in typical office or administrative work). Must have Flexible business hours to reflect the Congressional calendar as well as the needs of the c-suite officers.
Sedentary work: Job involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing etc. may be minimally required.
Occasionally – up to 25% of the time. Will travel as required from time-to-time to maintain relationships with Congressional staff and officials of the Department of Education and other federal, state and local government and agency organizations.
ECMC Group is a nonprofit corporation with a mission to help students recognize and realize their potential by investing in, creating and providing innovative education solutions that support schools and improve student educational outcomes.
Helping Students Succeed Since 1994:
- 13.9 Million student loan borrowers helped
- 34 Thousand Career and Technical Education students graduated
- $100 Million in Philanthropic giving
At ECMC Group, we don’t just talk about valuing our employees; we back it up by providing a comprehensive, competitive Total Rewards package:
- Health & wellness benefits- Variety of medical, dental, and vision insurance plans to meet diverse needs, plus ECMC Group covers more of the cost for these benefits than 75% of other employers do. Company paid life & disability insurance, pre-tax flexible spending accounts and robust wellness programs including access to on-site gym and free group fitness classes.
- Financial benefits- Generous 401(k) plan with a company match up to 6%, paid time off starting at 20 days/year and commuter subsidy which covers the full cost of a Metropass.
- Education assistance- Tuition reimbursement up to $10,500/year for approved programs, Student loan reimbursement up to $400/month and scholarship program for dependents of employees.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired with ECMC Group and its affiliates will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire and . ECMC Group participates in E-Verify to verify authorization to work in the U.S.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-01