Government Affairs Representative
This position promotes the Company – specifically Refining, Logistics, Retail and other Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) businesses – through coordination of strategic advocacy at the state and local government levels and by maintaining and building relationships with key stakeholders through community relations and outreach activities. Assists with media inquiries and the development of messaging to convey the Company’s interests to external audiences. Proactively interacts with state and local governmental officials and other community stakeholders. Coordinates employee outreach initiatives with external stakeholders and assists in administering the Company’s Strategic Community Investment program.
- Provides support in the development and implementation of strategies for achieving local public policy goals in various operational regions at the state and local level, including advocacy and lobbying efforts.
- Acts as liaison between local operational facilities and leadership team relative to local public policy issues.
- Proactively engages with staff and SMEs at the Company’s business platforms to understand how each business operates to understand how legislative and regulatory issues may impact the Company’s businesses.
- Maintains key relationships with stakeholders, including communities, governments, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) within the region.
- Develops and implements consistent approach to strategic priorities for community relations and outreach programs, philanthropic programs, and voluntary employee community involvement programs. Ensures active participation in programs and civic organizations to enhance commitment to social responsibility at local level.
- Coordinates MPC Strategic Community Investment program.
- Supports media response to local issues under direction of Corporate Communications.
- Coordinates and ensures active participation in business trade organizations and civic groups that enhance public policy interests of company at the local level.
- Maintains Public Affairs calendar of events for offsite community and council meetings. Attends meeting that may occur outside of normal working hours. Works to coordinate participation with key business leaders on strategic boards
- Assists in implementation of a consistent approach and priorities for community relations and outreach programs across the Mountain, Southwest, Alaska and Texas region.
- Coordinates with department lead and develops programs to maintain favorable perception of organizations accomplishments and agenda.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum undergraduate degree in public relations, communication or related field or applicable science or engineering degree required. Law degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of public policy advocacy and/or related government/community/public affairs experience. Energy industry experience preferred.
- Experience working for/with an NGO advocacy organization is preferred.
- Writing experience required.
About Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) is a leading, integrated, downstream energy company headquartered in Findlay, Ohio. The company operates the nation’s largest refining system with more than 3 million barrels per day of crude oil capacity across 16 refineries. MPC’s marketing system includes branded locations across the United States, including Marathon brand retail outlets. Speedway LLC, an MPC subsidiary, owns and operates retail convenience stores across the United States. MPC also owns the general partner and majority limited partner interests in two midstream companies, MPLX LP and Andeavor Logistics LP, which own and operate gathering, processing, and fractionation assets, as well as crude oil and light product transportation and logistics infrastructure.
Travel Expected: Up to 10%
Marathon Petroleum Company LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition or AIDS/HIV status, ancestry, national origin, genetic information, military, veteran status, marital status, citizenship or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, click here.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process at Marathon Petroleum LP, please contact our Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify the reasonable accommodation you are requesting, along with the job posting number in which you may be interested. A Human Resources representative will review your request and contact you to discuss a reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Veteran / Disability
Marathon Petroleum Company LP participates in the E-Verify program in some states in which it operates (including AL, AZ, GA, MS, NC, SC, TN, and UT). For more information before proceeding, please see details in English or Spanish. Right to Work Statement English or Spanish.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-06