Government & Public Affairs Manager
If you combine success in directing government relations with a strong background in communications and proven influencing and leadership skills, the role of Government & Public Affairs Manager offers you multiple opportunities:
- You will take ownership of a fast-track, high-impact position and work closely with the Government & Public Affairs Director who is slated to retire in 2020. Dedicate yourself to quickly and deeply learning your role and you could step up upon his retirement.
- This is a unique role enjoying high visibility in that you’ll support our growth and reputation on multiple fronts — through government and public relations, communications and community outreach.
- Our strong growth, entrepreneurial spirit, and vision for the future set Par Pacific apart in the oil and gas industry. In Hawaii, we are partnering with government and energy stakeholders to chart a rational course of transitioning the state to a renewable energy future. As the leading supplier of petroleum products and transportation fuels in the islands, Par is committed to meeting Hawaii’s energy needs—today and into the future.
- This is a role that is influencing the way in which our industry works with policymakers and the community to ensure that Hawaii’s consumers benefit from prudent energy planning. There are a number of backgrounds that could meet the position requirements: government relations, corporate communications, public relations, journalism/news media, and so forth. Regardless of your background, you are bound to learn and grow in this diverse role.
- You’ll also deepen your understanding of the oil and gas industry, whether you are a veteran or are new to this intriguing industry. We embrace the importance of our role as being Hawaii’s only supplier of petroleum products that are refined in Hawaii.
Par Pacific Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: PARR), headquartered in Houston, Texas, is a growth-oriented company that owns, manages and maintains interests in energy, related retailing and infrastructure businesses. Par Pacific’s business is organized into three primary segments of refining, retail and logistics. Par Pacific has refining and logistics assets in Hawaii, Washington and Wyoming and retail distribution networks in Hawaii, Idaho and Washington. Par Pacific also owns an equity investment in Laramie Energy, LLC, a joint venture entity focused on producing natural gas in Garfield, Mesa and Rio Blanco Counties, Colorado.
Through Par Hawaii, we own one of the largest energy infrastructure networks in the state with a 115,000-barrel-per-day refinery, a logistics network supplying the major islands, and 90 retail locations. Par Hawaii is also responsible for a network of 33 retail stations and convenience stores in eastern Washington and western Idaho.
Note: Par Pacific will not accept calls from third-party recruiters. All candidates are required to apply through this web posting.
To meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a strong candidate for the Manager of Government and Public Affairs position, you will need to meet the following requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or Political Science or similar required; an advanced degree is a plus
- 7 -10 years of experience in directing government relations, preferably at the federal or state level
- 7 – 10 years of experience in leadership positions in corporate communications, a government agency, or in a public relations agency (you won’t have direct reports in this role but will lead volunteers and vendors and influence a variety of stakeholders)
- Experienced in providing strategic support and counsel to senior executives or similar leadership roles
- Solid project management skills
- Strong writing skills with the ability to write in a “news” style
- Have working knowledge of IRS 501(c)(3) charitable organizations and experience in directing volunteers and conducting grassroots campaigns
- Possess proven interpersonal and relationship-building skills; having established relationships in government, news media and/or non-government organizations is an advantage
- Strong emotional intelligence and even-tempered; politically astute in an industry that receives criticism from the outside
- Results-driven team-player and a seasoned communicator who can galvanize action on business and volunteer causes
- Outstanding communication and influencing skills
- Openness to learning and elevating your skills; the ability to learn quickly
- Event planning experience is a plus
You will have opportunities to leverage your relationships and those of the senior Hawaii management team in developing strong business partnerships and fortifying Par’s standing in the local community.
Reporting to the Director of Government and Public Affairs, you will take ownership of a unique and diverse position responsible for government and public relations, communications and community outreach. Your mission will be to support company growth in Hawaii by directing all facets of government relations, employee and media/public relations, charitable giving and community outreach. You will be responsible for assessing issues that are germane to the petroleum/energy industry and for adopting government relations strategies to achieve preferred outcomes.
Specifically, you will:
- Manage the Company’s reputation (i.e., oil spills, catastrophic man-made or natural incidents, etc.).
- Direct Hawaii employee and community outreach events and campaigns.
- Promote the Company’s overall image and product brands through sponsorships, communication initiatives and volunteerism, and oversee the development and maintenance of the ParHawaii.com Website.
- Direct charitable giving for the Hawaii business.
- Serve as chief lobbyists on local, State and specific federal issues.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the Company.
- Represent Par Hawaii on task forces, committees, trade organizations and to nonprofit organizations.
- Direct political contributions, political education and grassroots activism in Hawaii, and provide support to Mainland counterparts.
- Manage the Company’s internal communication channels, such as the corporate newsletter, management communication to Hawaii employees, employee meetings and content on the Hawaii section of the intranet
- Support the Par Pacific Holdings executive leadership team and both the Par Hawaii, Inc. and Par Hawaii leadership teams as needed.
- Oversee the development of logo merchandise and specialty promotional items.
- Be a custodian of Par Hawaii’s historical information.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
While petroleum industry experience is preferred, if you don’t already have it, you’ll add it to your résumé. We will train you in our industry. You will need a strong belief in the value of petroleum projects an understanding of the future of energy in Hawaii.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts. Additionally, in this role, you’ll enjoy wide exposure to the community as well.
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; a robust allotment of paid vacation plus paid time off; a 401(k) with company match; retirement savings plans; educational reimbursement; and more.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific — an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production to delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. We are driven, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professionals that love to win. We are also proud of our family-oriented environment and close-knit culture. If that describes you, you’ll fit right in!
Opportunistic growth strategy
Par Pacific has an active, opportunistic growth strategy. We look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions and integrations of newly acquired companies.
To thrive and excel in the role of Government and Public Affairs Manager, you will combine analytical reasoning and a creative approach to solving problems and generating fresh ideas. You’ll capitalize on your knowledge of government regulations and processes to be able to advise the Company on strategic initiatives.
In addition to your knowledge, you will combine strong influencing skills with an innovative, forward-looking approach. For example, you’ll need to gain buy-in from lawmakers and help with the transition as we begin to shift from primarily petroleum products to different kinds of energy, while also understanding that as a society we will need to be weaned off of gasoline.
The ideal candidate and manager with the ability to step up to the director level will be venture driven and have the insight to see beyond the current parameters to grow the position. This is a grand opportunity to become more integrated with the business and into the fabric of the community. This role, in the right hands, can make a tremendous difference to the business and community alike.
Par Pacific is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-15