Government Relations Specialist
NHF is looking for a Government Relations Specialist to join our team. Under general supervision, the Government Relations Specialist initiates, prepares, interprets, reviews and monitors state-level legislation and administrative regulations affecting NHF in coordination with the NHF’s External Affairs Department. The individual will be involved in significant participation in state legislative and regulatory activities as they relate to the Bleeding Disorders community and its activities. The individual will work with consumers, chapters, other bleeding disorder patient organizations, health care organizations, and other key stakeholders to promote access to care policies at the state and national levels. Significant presentation and training experience is required in order to facilitate consumers, chapter staff and volunteers engagement on public policy and advocacy programs.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to;
- Work with the Senior Policy Director, and other members of the external affairs team to develop an on-going public policy agenda and strategy for states.
- Create and conduct effective presentations and training seminars that educate consumers, chapters and other stakeholders on how to advocate for NHF’s public policy agenda and train stakeholders for grassroots advocacy.
- Be the point-of-contact for states assigned via geographic division of responsibility providing technical assistance to chapters in those states
- Assist with the development and compilation of materials (leave behinds, fact sheets, etc.) for chapters requesting assistance with state advocacy day events.
- Monitor and track activities at the state legislation and policy relevant to NHF’s mission for assigned states
- Review and provide analysis on state legislation and regulatory activities and actions that impact the bleeding disorder community for assigned states
- Draft regular legislative activity reports for chapter staff and consumers
- Administer, manage, assist, and participate in the following events/meetings as assigned by the Sr. VP of External Affairs and the Senior Policy Director (Tasks include meeting planning, registration, logistics, speaker recruitment, content development and presenting):
- Attend NHF Meetings and Events as requested by SVP and Senior Policy Director
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (required); graduate degree in public policy, administration, or business administration (preferred).
- Minimum of three (4) years of experience in public policy analysis, education, administration and/or government relations/affairs.
- Minimum of three (3) year of experience in grassroots advocacy or association management.
- Strong research, policy analysis, writing and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively distill and present complex information in a concise way.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including maturity, an ability to work independently and in a team setting with remote-access colleagues.
- Ability to work collaboratively with consumers, advocates and other outside stakeholders (including government officials).
- Efficient, organized work style and an ability to prioritize quickly and confidently, and manage multiple deadlines;
- Ability to understand the long-term impact of policy decisions and strategies.
- Proficient in MS Office, internet research and database information systems.
- Experience with e-advocacy systems and bill tracking programs preferred.
- Knowledge of health care policy (preferred) and hemophilia and/or bleeding disorders (preferred).
- Ability to travel to 2-3 time per month (domestic travel)
***Position can be performed remotely from any State. Not necessarily reside in NYC***
What We Offer:
The programs and initiatives of the National Hemophilia Foundation are staffed by talented individuals who have the passion, drive and skills necessary to fulfill our mission. NHF is an Equal Opportunity Employer, appreciates and values individual differences and welcomes diversity in its broadest definition. We are committed to promoting an inclusive organizational environment of dignity and respect.
In order to attract and retain a high performance workforce, we offer a dynamic and rewarding work environment. In addition to a competitive salary, NHF provides a comprehensive health and wellness program to eligible employees, family members and domestic partners. Our health and wellness programs include medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, preventative care, mental health services and an employee assistance / work-life balance program. We also offer generous time-off policies and a 403(b) retirement plan.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-03-20