Under general supervision of the Legislative Director, the Legislative Analyst follows legislative initiatives and reports data; develops, prepares, and produces print and electronic communication from creative concept to final print; researches, writes, and edits articles, board agendas, features on education programs and policies and other communications and writings as assigned; fosters cooperative working relationships among Association departments; acts as liaison with various education, community, public, and government agencies; and performs related work as required.
If you are interested in being considered for this role, please apply directly through the following link:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Researches, tracks, analyzes, and reports data on local, state and federal legislative initiatives that may impact California education
- Composes and edits a variety of materials for the Association, including materials for the Governmental Relations department, CSBA’s committees and task forces, Board of Directors, Delegate Assembly, Legislative Action events and programs, Annual Conference, grassroots activities, articles for publication and other meetings, conferences and events as needed
- Attends conferences, meetings, and seminars to maintain expertise of legislative initiatives and impact
- Assists with meetings and events by developing agendas, taking meeting minutes, following-up with members on after-action items, and preparing programs and brochures
- Answers calls for the Governmental Relations department, screens calls, and refers to proper person for action; assists directly with routine inquiries within CSBA policy
- Downloads daily reports generated from web-based legislative tracking system. Reports may include newly introduced, gutted and amended, recently amended, and signed or vetoed legislations, and/or reports on committee and floor session addressing active advocate bills
- Inputs legislator and board member contact information (address, phone, and fax) into database(s), generates detailed reports and ensures accuracy of information for correct delivery of letters to legislative committees
- Conducts background research in order to develop story/message concepts as well as to prepare responses to public inquiries on a variety of topics as instructed
- Reads and demonstrates an understanding and adherence to CSBA values, policies, and practices
- Demonstrates respect, honesty and professionalism at all times
- Other duties as assigned
- State and Federal Legislative principals
- Research and writing on Legislative concepts
- Association and function of non-profit organizations, boards, and commissions
- The mission and values of CSBA
- Administrative principles and practices of business letter writing, report formatting and preparation, data collection and reporting, information management, record keeping principles and procedures, and business mathematics, statistical and basic research techniques.
- Applicable local, state, and federal laws and policies.
- Computer applications related to the work, including word processing, database entry and management, spreadsheet applications, PowerPoint, and calendaring/scheduling programs.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively working with CSBA members, state and federal elected and appointed officials and their staff, members of the public, vendors, contractors, and Association employees.
- Understand the organization and operation of the Association and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities
- To create and use web-based reports and tracking system required
- Perform responsible application of specialized program-related knowledge to support organizational unit with accuracy, speed, and general supervision; interpret, apply, and explain administrative and departmental policies and procedures; provide customer service for program-related inquiries and related requests
- Effectively use web programs and html editor
- Effectively use various social media venues
- Work with confidential records and accounts
- Adapt to changing priorities in a time sensitive environment
- Compose correspondence and reports independently or from brief instructions; make accurate mathematical, financial, and statistical computations; enter and retrieve data from a variety of sources with sufficient speed and accuracy to perform assigned work
- Apply knowledge and demonstrate common sense and good judgment, participate in and/or coordinate various projects involving participation of other departments; organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Any combination of training and experience equivalent to an bachelor degree or higher with major coursework in, education, political science, government relations, social sciences, economics, business administration, management, finance, accounting, or related field with three (3) years of progressive, responsible administrative experience, preferably in education, non-profit legislative grassroots or campaign settings. Experience providing administrative support to management, coordinating meetings, and planning special programs or events is desirable.
ENVIRONMENTAL ELEMENTS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Employee works in a primarily sedentary office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances.
- Employee is personally responsible for following health and safety guidelines, instructions, and policies.
- Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person, and over the telephone; must be able to bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push and pull drawers open and closed in the execution of duties.
- Must be able to sit at computer for long periods of time and have the dexterity to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator, and operate standard office equipment.
- Employee must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 25 pounds, hand truck available to assist.
- May be asked to work occasional overtime, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays for activities that are required to be done after-hours.
- Limited vacation during peak periods.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS
- Possession of, or ability to, obtain a valid California Driver’s license by time of appointment.
Job posted: 2020-05-04