Location: The American Legion Washington, D.C., Full-Time
Pay Scale: $62,000.00 – $68,000.00 / year
The Legislative Associate serves as a lobbyist for The American Legion and helps coordinate all of its federal lobbying activities. This Legislative Associate is tasked with representing The American Legion before Congress of the United States, and each committee thereof, on all legislative matters in which The American Legion is officially interested.
1. Supports the organization’s federal lobbying efforts:
a. presents official communications with Capitol Hill;
b. liaison with congressional members and their personal staffs;
c. liaison with congressional committees’ professional staffs;
d. and liaison with other veterans and military service organizations’ legislative professional staffs;
e. authors letters of support for legislation supported by The American Legion;
f. attends congressional hearing on topics of interest to The American Legion
2. Coordinates with organization’s divisions staffs:
a. preparation of congressional testimonies;
b. preparations of articles for in-house publications;
c. preparation of oral remarks;
d. preparation of talking papers;
e. assists with grassroots lobbying;
f. updating of legislative status on specific measures;
g. scheduling meetings with congressional members, their personal staffs or committee staffs; and
h. drafting legislation.
3. Monitors and reports on the legislative status of critical issues identified in The American Legion’s legislative portfolio.
4. Establishes and maintains relationships with congressional members, their staffs and their committee staffs.
5. Provides answers for specific questions (written correspondence, email or telephonic) submitted to the National Legislative Commission.
6. Other duties as assigned.
College education – four year degree to provide basic familiarity with a variety of subjects.
Additional Skills Needed:
- Extremely strong writing skills are required for this position, as this position will be responsible for authoring congressional testimony.
- 3 years up to 5 years
Job posted: 2021-03-03