The National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors (NAIFA) is looking to hire a Legislative Liaison to serve as primary contact regarding legislation and meetings for the lobbyists on assigned issues. This position will also serve as a GR Department liaison with State Chapter Director, PAC, Grassroots and Marketing areas; conduct research in support of NAIFA GR efforts; and, as assigned, attend meetings of insurance regulators, legislators, industry groups, and NAIFA Chapters regarding issues of importance to NAIFA and its members.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Act as primary department contact on legislative issues and related industry meetings, state legislative and congressional activity.
- Under direction of AVP, assist in all aspects of researching legislative and regulatory activities on behalf of NAIFA on assigned issues.
- Complete any special projects and assist lobbyists in drafting proposed materials regarding legislative activities.
- Track legislation and regulations for matters pertaining to life, health, DI, LTC insurance, retirement and financial services issues. Respond to inquiries from members on subject matter problems. Prepare legislative memos.
- Under direction of AVP, assure that legislative information on NAIFA’s website is current and accurate. Post relevant information to the NAIFA website on a regular basis.
- Act as liaison to the association’s other departments to ensure they are aware of pertinent legislative developments.
- Assist in drafting and finalizing text for GR Department communications.
- Attend hearings and prepare summaries of the hearings.
- Serve as staff aide to NAIFA Government Relations Committee.
- Work collaboratively with NAIFA Membership, Professional Development & Education, and Communication Departments, to provide advocacy-related content for association marketing, programming and media materials.
- Work well with other employees, NAIFA leadership and members, function as a team player and accept constructive suggestions for improving job performance from supervisors and managers.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance.
- Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- 3-5 years of legislative, political, or legal research experience or other relevant work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Political Science, or related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of state, federal legislative and committee processes.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with database and website management.
- Experience with state legislative tracking (i.e. StateNet, Quorum, etc.)
- Ability to establish rapport easily in person and by telephone.
- Excellent skills in organizing, coordinating, written and oral communication.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Is available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as the employer determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
Founded in 1890 as The National Association of Life Underwriters (NALU), NAIFA is one of the nation’s oldest and largest associations representing the interests of insurance professionals and financial advisors from every Congressional district in the United States. NAIFA members assist consumers by focusing their practices on one or more of the following: life insurance and annuities, health insurance and employee benefits, multiline, and financial advising and investments. NAIFA’s mission is to advocate for a positive legislative and regulatory environment, enhance business and professional skills, and promote the ethical conduct of its members. For more information about NAIFA, visit www.naifa.org.
Compensation & Benefits:
NAIFA recognizes how important it is to provide our employees with the best possible environment in which to work. We offer a generous benefits package that includes:
Health and Dental Plan
Life, AD&D, and Business Travel Insurance
Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
Legal Services Plan
401(k) Savings Plan
Flexible Spending Accounts for Uninsured Medical and Dependent Care
NAIFA also offers various programs and benefits to assist employees with work/life balance solutions, such as an Employee Assistance Program, wellness programs, direct deposit, business casual dress code, flexible work schedules, educational seminars, and free parking.
Please send your resume and cover letter referencing Legislative Liaison to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2019-10-02