Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, Federal Government Relations
The position’s primary responsibility is to work with the Director, of Government Relations in developing and executing strategic plans to protect LyondellBasell’s interests in Washington, D.C. The position will establish and maintain constructive working relationships in the U.S. Congress and select regulatory agencies, advocating company positions on important legislative, regulatory, and policy issues. Extensive communication and coordination with internal stakeholders and national trade associations will be essential to ensure internal and external alignment with LyondellBasell’s business objectives.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain working relationships with key Congressional offices and within select regulatory agencies.
- Assume primary responsibility for a portfolio of federal legislative and regulatory issues of importance to LyondellBasell.
- Develop and execute advocacy plans for these issues, incorporating direct lobbying, and coordinating with trade associations and employee grassroots campaigns.
- Assist in development of ongoing issue advocacy prioritization.
- Establish a network of LyondellBasell internal stakeholders, communicating regularly to ensure government relations alignment with company objectives.
- Identify, track and internally communicate legislative and regulatory developments and emerging trends.
- Work with internal stakeholders to define potential impacts and develop company position papers and advocacy strategies.
- Serve as LyondellBasell’s primary liaison with several national trade associations. Actively participate on their government relations committees, helping to shape and lobby policy positions.
- Assist in developing LyondellBasell’s federal PAC contributions plan. Represent the PAC at Congressional fundraisers.
- Initiate and organize visits by members of Congress to LyondellBasell facilities.
- Achieve a basic understanding of LyondellBasell’s businesses, products and technologies in order to best represent the company’s interests.
- Provide backup coverage as needed for the Senior Manager of Government Relations.
- Travel required about once per month to various LyondellBasell facilities and trade association meetings.
- Bachelor’s Degree; preferably in Political Science, Chemistry or other related sciences
- A minimum of five (5) years of government or government relations experience preferably as a congressional staff member, trade association lobbyist, or corporate lobbyist.
- Must have existing relationships within a substantial number of Congressional offices and key committees.
- Strong working knowledge of congressional legislative and committee processes.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to understand and clearly communicate
- complex messages to individuals ranging from junior legislative staff to senior members of Congress or the Administration.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Able to simultaneously manage multiple issues and assignments, meeting required deadlines.
- Highly motivated self-starter that excels when given opportunities to work more autonomously.
- Technical background or exposure to chemical or energy-related industry preferred.
- Existing relationships within key regulatory agencies such as the EPA, DOT and OSHA preferred
We are LyondellBasell – a leader in the global chemical industry creating solutions for everyday sustainable living. Through advanced technology and focused investments, we are enabling a circular and low carbon economy. Across all we do, we aim to champion our employees, and unlock value for customers, investors and society. LyondellBasell places high priority on diversity, equity and inclusion and is strongly committed to our planet, the communities where we operate and our future workforce. As one of the world’s largest producers of polymers and a leader in polyolefin technologies, we develop, manufacture and market high-quality and innovative products for applications ranging from sustainable transportation and food safety to clean water and quality healthcare. For more information, please visit www.lyondellbasell.com or follow @LyondellBasell on LinkedIn.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-09-18