Manager, Government Relations
We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to define new ways of working and learn from world-class leaders in their field. This is a place where dreamers and doers can succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the Cruise Government Affairs Organization:
The Government Affairs team works closely with civic leaders at all levels of government (local, state, federal, and international) to develop public policy solutions for the safe testing and deployment of self-driving vehicles. As a well-seasoned, collaborative, and highly respected team, we work to engage and inform policymakers, public safety officials, community leaders, academia, and the general public about self-driving technology and its enormous potential benefits to society. Our team serves as the primary liaison and external-facing entity at Cruise, representing the company at anything from local neighborhood associations to international governing bodies.
Cruise is looking for a Manager, Government Affairs to join our growing, dynamic Government Affairs team. This talented and self-motivated individual will help develop, guide, and execute our policy, regulatory, community, and public outreach efforts in California. Based in San Francisco, this seasoned policy expert will create and execute state and local government affairs objectives to advance Cruise’s policy and business priorities. They will be dealing with regulatory and government issues as a pivotal part of building trust in our services and products, promoting the Cruise brand, and growing our markets. The Manager of Government Affairs will also work collaboratively with relevant business, public affairs, operations, communications, and legal teams to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals. This position will report to the Senior Manager of Government Affairs.
Day-to-day responsibilities Include:
- Develop with Senior Manager of Government Affairs Cruise’s legislative and political strategy in California, in particular with respect to State regulators and policymakers, the City of San Francisco, transit authorities, law enforcement, and other relevant institutions
- Support Cruise’s policy strategy with state and local regulatory agencies
- Represent Cruise in interactions with electeds, government and agency officials and staff, including providing testimony in legislative and regulatory hearings
- Work cross-functionally with Cruise senior management on developing public policy priorities that advance Cruise’s operations and business interests
- Work closely with Cruise’s Operations, Legal, Business, and Communications teams on developing market strategy
- Collaborate with GM public policy and legal teams on info gathering, strategy, and government relations
- Develop, in conjunction with Lead Counsel for Regulatory Policy, briefings and recommendations regarding pending legislation and government developments affecting Cruise
- Develop and advocate for policies that support the growth and public acceptance of autonomous vehicles, electric vehicles, and other emerging businesses derived from the introduction of AVs.
- Attend and participate in events at the municipal level related the future of mobility
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- A/BS required
- 5+ years of relevant experience with – and keen working understanding of – state and local policy making process and government relations
- Experience issue spotting, researching, and identifying complex policy issues and opportunities, and writing recommendations for future policy considerations
- Demonstrated ability to build and sustain relationships with government officials
- Demonstrated ability to adapt quickly to changes in priorities and remain productive while handling multiple assignments under pressure and meeting rigid deadlines
- Experience identifying and understanding key technical aspects pertaining to corporate operations in state and/or local political environments, understanding business implications, and synthesizing information for internal and external customers
- Demonstrated work experience with companies, consultancies, trade associations, governmental agencies, or equivalent organization
- Ability to maintain the highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to define a path forward and work with a substantial amount of ambiguity and changing, often short, timelines
- Law Degree or Master degree preferred but not required
- Experience working in a nascent industry with similar regulatory landscape
- Existing network with the Office of the Mayor, SFMTA, SFCTA, San Francisco Board of Supervisors, and the California Public Utilities Commission, community advocacy groups, associations, and innovation policy thought leaders
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-09