Manager, US Government Affairs
Who we are:
Remember the last time you opened a bottle of champagne? A cold beer after a hard day’s work or a bottle of sparkling mineral water to quench your thirst? Well, it was probably made by us. We are O-I and we love that we make more glass containers than anyone in the world.
O-I has more than a century of experience crafting pure, sustainable, brand-building glass packaging for many of the world’s best-known food and beverage brands. We are proud to provide high-quality glass packaging for beer, wine, spirits, food, non-alcoholic beverages, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals.
With nearly 27,000 employees and an unparalleled footprint spanning almost 80 plants in 23 countries, O-I is a truly global maker of glass packaging.
From engineering and manufacturing to brand development, design and innovation, we are dedicated to providing unique solutions to exceed our customers’ expectations and fuel consumers’ desire for glass.
This position is accountable for O-I’s federal and state government affairs program in the United States. This position shall work with the Chief Sustainability & Corp Affairs Officer to develop the strategic direction of the government affairs program. This person is directly responsible for executing O-I policy influence initiatives, including representing O-I in federal and state government affairs activities. The position is also accountable for directing and coordinating U.S. government affairs activities. As part of O-I Government Affairs, this person also has accountability for building and maintaining relationships with non-governmental organizations, industry and trade associations, industry allies, and other constituencies to develop support for O-I’s government affairs priorities and for the strategy to use these organization to advance O-I’s influence agenda. This person also will lead and directly support the growth of O-I’s PAC, the O-I Employees Good Citizenship Fund.
- Integral in developing the strategic direction for the O-I North American government affairs program, which will support for the strategic priorities of the Company.
- Monitor and report on government affairs-related information provided on a timely and regular basis to key constituencies.
- Lead, coordinate and directly represent O-I in legislative and regulatory activities.
- Develop, guide and monitor internal resources in the North American region to ensure that there
is appropriate support for O-I’s state government affairs program.
- Direct O-I consultants and other vendors in support of the O-I’s government affairs program.
- Analyze, edit and approve North American government affairs agreements, contracts and other documents, as appropriate.
- Prepare and deliver legislative and regulatory proceeding testimony and develop advocacy presentations.
- Communicate government affairs opportunities and strategies, and liaise with critical O-I leaders to ensure alignment and support for O-I’s North American government affairs program.
- Provide support for North American strategic priorities, with a specific emphasis on those priorities that are directly impacted by policy makers.
- Lead engagement with non-governmental organizations, industry and trade associations, industry allies and other non-governmental organizations and constituencies to develop support for O-I’s government affairs priorities.
- Directly support the management and growth of the O-I Employees Good Citizenship Fund.
- Review legislation and regulations to stay abreast of new risks and opportunities.
- Support and engage in federal legislative activities as appropriate, including grassroots activities at O-I facilities.
- Assist with various Government Affairs’ meetings, conferences, events and regulatory advocacy activities.
SCOPE AND IMPACT
This position is responsible for executing O-I influence strategy with policy makers at the state and federal level. Additionally, the position is responsible building and using O-I’s relationships with the trade and industry association for the influence agenda.
This job requires superior oral and written communication, strategic planning, and team building skills; excellent judgment, and must be familiar and comfortable communicating with senior management and elected officials.
This job will directly support the growth of O-I North America, directly support the advancement
of O-I strategic priorities, and help reduce O-I’s business risks.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Must have 5 years of federal legislative and/or regulatory advocacy experience.
- Prior experience in corporate government affairs is required and experience with public relations is desired
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate both internally and externally at various organizational levels
- Ability to engage a variety of internal and external constituencies in support of government affairs priorities
- Ability to work in a team and in coalitions
Reports to the Chief Sustainability & Corporate Affairs Officer
One direct report – Government Affairs Specialist
Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
O-I is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact O-I at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-16