National Press Secretary
Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Giffords is a nonprofit organization whose team is on a mission to save lives from gun violence. Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are seeking a National Press Secretary to join our team. The National Press Secretary is an experienced political communications professional and a senior member of the Communications team. The National Press Secretary is responsible for promoting Giffords’ mission, work, and principals across media markets and advancing the gun violence prevention agenda nationally.
This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office. This position requires evening and weekend work as well as interest and ability to travel up to 25% of the time. As the safety and wellbeing of our team is of utmost importance, all Giffords staff members are working remotely until it is safe for us to resume working in an office, traveling, and holding in-person meetings.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants, no phone calls or emails, please.
Duties + responsibilities:
- Proactively identifies opportunities to build the national profile of Giffords, our policy priorities, and its founder, senior leadership and surrogates in national media and unique earned media opportunities;
- Pitches Giffords spokespeople to major TV, radio, digital and web series on an ongoing basis, ensuring principals are fully briefed for interviews; and staffs and executes national press events.
- Serves as senior member of the Communications team and helps develop overall strategic vision for the organization’s communications program, focusing on national earned media.
- Handles all incoming media requests, evaluating whether or not the organization should engage and to what extent.
- Serve as core member of the rapid response team, working with the Communications Director to coordinate statements and external facing materials.
- Leads planning and coordination of all national press events and oversees regional press events.
- Coordinates creation of external press communications materials, including statements, press releases, press notes, memos, and op-eds.
- Manages media associate/regional press secretary, as well as external consultants working on earned media.
- Develops and leads the organization’s media training program for staff and key partners/stakeholders.
- Serves as an on-the-record spokesperson for the organization and for Congresswoman Giffords.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required knowledge, skills + experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in media and/or communications; candidates with experience on political campaigns or Capitol Hill are preferred
- Strong network of media contacts/relationships, especially with reporters focused on politics
- On-the-record spokesperson experience
- Outstanding oral, written, communication and presentation skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit; strong creative-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Superior time management and attention to detail
- Active knowledge and experience with communications databases such as Cision
- An ability and willingness to travel up to 25% of the time
Valued non-essential knowledge, skills, + experience
- Experience working for a progressive cause
- Relationships with Congressional press offices
- Experience working with high-profile spokespersons
Salary + benefits
The salary range for this position begins at $75,000 with the exact salary depending on experience. Competitive benefits include employer funded health, dental, and vision insurance; health, transit, and parking flexible spending accounts; 401k plan with 4% employer match; 25 days of PTO annually; and paid holidays.
Applying + Interview Process
Submit your resume and a brief cover letter (400 words maximum) that outlines three specific ways that you would be a good fit for this position. Our interview process for this position consists of a phone interview, a video interview, a skills assessment exercise, and reference checks.
Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-25