The mission of the REFORM Alliance is to dramatically reduce the number of people who are unjustly under the control of the criminal justice system – starting with probation and parole. To win, we are leveraging our considerable resources to change laws and policies while changing hearts and minds.
REFORM’s founding partners include award-winning recording artist Meek Mill; Philadelphia 76ers co-owner and Fanatics executive chairman Michael Rubin; entrepreneur and business mogul Shawn “JAY-Z” Carter; Kraft Group CEO and New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft; Brooklyn Nets co-owner and philanthropic investor Clara Wu Tsai; Third Point LLC CEO and founder Daniel S. Loeb; Galaxy Digital CEO and founder Michael E. Novogratz; Vista Equity Partners founder, chairman, and CEO Robert F. Smith. CNN host and activity Van Jones is the CEO.
REFORM seeks a Policy Manager to support our state and federal criminal justice reform efforts across the country. This position requires the ability to utilize analytical methods and techniques to analyze policy issues for REFORM Alliance. The candidate should be comfortable with quantitative and qualitative approaches in research and be familiar with public policy issues related to criminal justice systems, especially community supervision. Strong writing skills, including the ability to synthesize complex analyses into easy-to-understand language for a non-technical audience, are required. Legal background is preferred. Specifically, the selected candidate will be expected to:
- Draft primary and secondary state and federal legislation and related guidance, including resolutions, amendments, summaries and analysis;
- Review, edit, and proofread legislation, amendments to legislation, legal memorandums, and other written work product;
- Edit legislation, amendments to legislation, legal memorandums, and other written office work product, including graphical presentation materials, for grammar, spelling, punctuation, comprehensibility, and adherence to all other style and format requirements;
- Input handwritten attorney / director / contractor edits and revisions into electronic documents;
- Conduct policy and legal research;
- Familiarize her/himself with all relevant federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, and policies pertaining to community supervision;
- Review agency rules to determine whether they are within the rule-making authority of the promulgating agency;
- Complete special projects and other tasks, which may include administrative tasks, assigned by his or her team leader or Director;
- Work effectively and collaboratively with other legislative drafters and partner organizations; and
- Otherwise generally support the Policy Director in the completion of their duties.
Candidates will also possess:
- J.D. or M.P.P. preferred
- Minimum of 4 years policy experience or 4 years criminal legal service experience
- Experience crafting criminal justice policy
- Direct knowledge of state and federal legislative processes
- Ability to work effectively with elected leaders, staffers and diverse stakeholders
- Appreciation for the transformative power of media, storytelling, and digital advocacy
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong organizational skills; with keen attention to detail
- Strong work ethic and willingness to go the extra mile
REFORM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and strive for a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-20