Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Giffords is a nonprofit organization whose team is on a mission to save lives from gun violence. Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are seeking a Political Associate to join our team. The Political Associate is an integral part of the political team, assisting in almost every facet of the political program. As part of the political team, you’ll be fighting for leaders with the courage to stand up to the gun lobby. The successful candidate for this role thrives doesn’t need a deep background in politics but must bring good humor, a willingness to learn, and a strong self-starter initiative.
This is a full-time position based in our Washington DC office. This position requires the ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of the time and interest in staffing occasional weekend and evening events. As the safety and wellbeing of our team is of utmost importance, all Giffords staff members are working remotely until it is safe for us to resume working in an office, traveling, and holding in-person meetings.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled. Due to high volume of applicants, no phone calls or emails, please.
Duties + Responsibilities:
The workload for this position will fall largely into three buckets: PAC coordination, assisting with the internal process for endorsements and candidate service work, and political research.
- Along with the political team, work closely with the finance and operations team on procedures to report spending and PAC check requests weekly/as necessary
- Help coordinate a quarterly federal PAC spending plan in conjunction with your teammates and the federal affairs department. This will include establishing quarterly goals for total spent and total checks cut and working to meet those goals.
- Track the day to day of Giffords’ PAC spending and work with colleagues on compliance and budget.
Endorsement & Candidate Services
- Coordinate internal workings of candidate endorsement process, including scheduling endorsement rollouts among relevant teams, outreach to campaigns as needed, cataloguing and analyzing questionnaires, communicating endorsements across the organization.
- Work closely with the deputy political director to update candidate materials as needed.
- Coordinate trainings, calls and regular communication with candidates, consultants and staff as needed.
- Assist with creation and drafting of materials for meetings, presentations, blog posts as needed.
- Complete research memos on candidates, state political profiles, and others as needed.
Required knowledge, skills + experience
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to be flexible.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Self-starter, willing to take initiative as needed.
- Strong interpersonal skills, sense of humor and ability to work well on a team.
Salary + benefits
The salary range for this position begins at $45,000 with the exact salary depending on experience. Competitive benefits include employer funded health, dental, and vision insurance; health, transit, and parking flexible spending accounts; 401k plan with 4% employer match; 25 days of PTO annually; and paid holidays.
Applying + the interview process
Submit your resume and a brief cover letter (400 words maximum) that outlines three specific ways that you would be a good fit for this position. Our interview process for this position consists of a phone interview, a video interview, a skills assessment exercise, and reference checks.
Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2021-04-18