National NOW Action Center, 1100 H Street NW, Suite 300, Washington, D.C. (one block from Metro Center). This is an in-house, full-time position in our Washington, D.C., office so candidates should be local or willing to relocate to the D.C. area.
Application Deadline: Open-ended
NOW is dedicated to intersectional grassroots activism to lead societal change, promote feminist ideals and eliminate discrimination. The organization’s advocacy for women’s equality encompasses six core issues:
- reproductive rights and justice
- ending racism and achieving racial justice
- winning civil and human rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual (LGBTQIA) people
- ending violence against women
- securing economic justice for all women
- amending the U.S. Constitution to include women’s equality.
The Press Secretary pitches and books NOW spokesperson(s), sometimes on location with very little notice. Additionally, the Press Secretary develops and coordinates the process for publishing written materials that further NOW’s six core issues. The position requires the exercise of discretion in the development and implementation of strategic media campaigns.
- Coordinate political and electoral activities of the National Organization for Women and the National Organization for Women PAC.
- Research electoral opportunities for feminists, conduct candidate screening meetings, analyze candidates’ records and positions, and vet grassroots recommendations to determine whether to recommend candidate endorsement.
- Coordinate all communication with PAC members and implementation of their decisions, including endorsement letters, check procurement, and coordination with state affiliates about press releases.
- Manage and post on the PAC website and social media, effectively promoting NOW’s political action plan.
- Coordinate all PAC fundraising including events at NOW’s National Conference and by working with fundraising vendors to develop political and strategic messaging.
- Responsible for all legal and financial compliance of PAC and political activities including filing FEC reports, production of Best Efforts letters, and all requirements related to expenditures, and contributions.
- Attend candidate fundraisers.
- Travel to targeted districts for primary and/or general campaign work.
- Conduct political training sessions and webinars for grassroots leaders with occasional travel to targeted states for training activists.
- Liaison between political activity of grassroots subunits and the National Action Center including advice about permissible political activities, best practices and legal restrictions.
- Coordination of NOW, Inc. and NOW PAC grants to NOW subunits for political activity.
- Coordinate political workshops and panels at the NOW’s National Conference. Develop and present workshops and panels at chapter and state meetings.
- Represent NOW PAC at coalition meetings.
- Coordinate NOW PAC activities at and attend the Democratic National Convention.
- Report to the NOW Board including national political analysis.
- Supervise 1-2 interns.
- 10 years of electoral campaign, political action committee, or related experience
- Extensive political experience with campaign and campaign compliance including familiarity with IRS and FEC requirements relevant to political activity
- Expertise in the allowed political activities of different types of organizations (501c3, 501c4, PAC)
- Leadership and activism within the National Organization for Women
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to communicate with individuals at all levels in the organization and with external business contacts in an articulate, professional manner
- Proficiency in FECfile, Google Drive and Microsoft Office
- Passion for women’s rights and intersectional feminism and the ability of electoral work to affect societal change.
- Ability to work well with diverse individuals across age, race, socio-economic, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other lines
How to Apply:
Please email your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to email@example.com. Subject line should read: “Political Director – Your Full Name.” No phone calls, please. NOW is an equal employment opportunity organization and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of sex, race, age, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital or parenting status, affectional or sexual orientation, or gender identity. NOW actively seeks to maintain a diverse staff and prioritizes hiring of NOW members
Job posted: 2020-06-04