Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Affairs Advisor
Public Affairs Advisor – Washington, DC
Qualified candidates for this position will have a minimum of three to five years of experience working in federal legislative and public policy roles, with most of that time focused on energy and environmental policy issues. Candidates should have substantial experience managing projects in a legislative context and prior exposure to developing and executing comprehensive legislative and/or regulatory strategies for a particular client or issue.
Core responsibilities include:
- Perform legislative and policy research, help design legislative strategy, and write compelling policy and business content to help execute a multi-pronged government affairs strategy.
- Research, draft, and edit policy documents including one-pagers, hearing memos, talking points, issue briefs, congressional testimony, legislative tracking documents, and appropriations requests.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports summarizing federal developments and funding opportunities, as well as reporting on Holland & Knight advocacy efforts and successes on legislative and regulatory issues specific to individual clients.
- Help craft and execute legislative, regulatory and political strategies to achieve federal policy goals; collaborate with and build relationships with key policymakers and other influential federal government-oriented stakeholders.
- Arrange, coordinate, and conduct client meetings with legislators and other government officials under the supervision of PP&R professionals.
- Organize fly-in events, including preparing materials, managing attendees, and coordinating event logistics.
- Assist with client team coordination, including tracking Capitol Hill outreach and preparing agendas and materials for regular client calls and communication.
- Help clients prepare for and respond to Congressional hearings, federal agency rulemaking and other federal legislative and regulatory proceedings.
- Assist in drafting litigation and/or government investigation client internal and external messaging, including media statements and press releases.
- 3-5 years’ experience of federal government, policy or government relations experience in the energy, environment or sustainability fields, or in another significant and substantive public policy role.
- Strong and clear writing skills and the ability to understand and synthesize complex legislative and regulatory issues.
- Strong legislative and regulatory research skills, including databases such as Bloomberg Government.
- Deep understanding of legislative and federal regulatory processes.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact positively with the wide variety of personalities encountered in governmental and political environments.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Strong organizational ability.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- High proficiency in a computer network environment, especially with the Microsoft Office applications suite.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Job posted: 2022-08-27