Public Affairs Director
The Director, Public Affairs, plans and executes strategic public affairs initiatives across multiple channels and venues to raise BCBSA’s visibility and recognition as a health policy leader among key audiences, including federal and state policymakers; health policy thought leaders and relevant news media. The position supports the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association Office of Policy and Representation and contributes to the overall success of a comprehensive, sustained thought leadership and visibility program based on a 360-degree communications approach encompassing social and digital media platforms; earned media; paid advertising; thought leadership events and other initiatives to highlight the role of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield System as a unique leader in U.S. health care.
The Director will be responsible for strategic planning and tactical execution of editorial content for the BCBSA leadership and advocacy website BCBSProgressHealth.com, aligning messages and content with corresponding messages driven through other communication channels to ensure the BCBS voice is consistent and effective. The Director also will draft and edit communication deliverables for use in all channels and engage with relevant health care journalists.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop digital content strategy and calendars, and execute tactics required for production of written and visual content for BCBSProgressHealth.com. Operate the digital platform with content that is forward-looking, consistently refreshed and maintains a consistent BCBS voice and presence in digital communications channels relevant to health care policy stakeholders.
- Work with outside agencies, including web host and external public relations agency partners, in adapting and refreshing digital assets to meet audience and BCBSA needs, in line with web best practices.
- Ensure alignment of content on BCBSProgressHealth.com with the ongoing health policy conversation, adapting quickly to changes in the external environment. Align digital content with other BCBSA activities including events, thought leadership appearances, advertising, executive social media visibility, etc.
- Manage content management system for BCBSProgressHealth including posting content and working with vendor partners on continued updates and website maintenance.
- Provide direct media relations support and counsel on health care policy maters.
- Provide writing and editing support for a wide range of public affairs communicatio.ns deliverables including executive talking points, earned media materials, blog posts and other digital deliverables.
- Engage directly with partners, sponsors, vendors and others to provide operational support in producing successful branded events. Ensure that all public affairs communications are aligned to appropriately support BCBS System policy and advocacy goals.
- Provide communication support, as needed, for policy coalitions and partners.
Required Basic Qualifications:
- Minimum 6 years of experience in roles shaping and executing complex communications efforts in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment
- Experience elevating and protecting brands in the DC public affairs environment
- Direct experience in advocacy communications and media relations, including ability to leverage established relationships with journalists to place BCBS messages in media at the right time and in the right outlet; experience in using digital platforms for advocacy and thought leadership
- Direct advocacy communications experience, preferably with experience representing major brands
- Direct experience in using digital/social media to advance policy/advocacy communication goals and objectives
- Proven ability to utilize all communications channels—including events, paid advertising, social media and earned media, to support advocacy goals and objectives
- Experience balancing the needs of multiple internal stakeholders and external partners
- Demonstrated knowledge of health care policy, federal and state political landscapes and health care industry business issues
- Knowledge of and experience in using social/digital channels to enhance amplify advocacy messages and enhance brand positioning
- 4-year college degree
Preferred Basic Qualifications:
- Direct experience in DC-based advocacy communications on behalf of major brands and/or trade associations, or advocacy groups. In-house and agency experience may be applied
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to craft compelling messages and communication materials for all channels
- Experience advising senior leaders on best advocacy communication approaches
- Ability to write and edit for all communication platforms; knowledge of social media and its role in amplifying communications to achieve advocacy goals
- Ability to work under pressure, with demonstrated success in working under tight deadlines
- Effective relationship-building skills and ability to work in a collaborative environment with internal and external partners
Equal Opportunity Employer
Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected characteristics
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-02-19