Public Affairs Specialist
Tuvli, an Akima Company, is dedicated to providing our customers with superior, integrated technology and program support services and solutions. Our systems engineering, information technology, information assurance, program support and project management staff work closely with customers to ensure that our solutions are directly aligned with their business processes and desired program outcomes. We emphasize affordability, and delivering the best value for technology investments. Our personnel enjoy competitive benefits packages and challenging roles in work environments committed to innovation, diversity and opportunity for career growth. As an Alaska Native Corporation (ANC), 100% of our company’s profits go back to our 14,300 Iñupiat shareholders that have resided near and above the Arctic Circle for more than 10,000 years. Our business helps support their way of life and contributes to the survival of a culture that has thrived in a challenging environment.
This is a non-personal services task order to provide Public Affairs Specialist for the International Joint Commission. The Government shall not exercise any supervision or control over contractor personnel, who are the service providers performing the services described herein. Such task order service providers shall be accountable solely to the Contractor who in turn is responsible to the Government.
Propose and implement binational public information, consultation and engagement strategies: Conceptualizes and proposes public affairs strategies to inform, engage and consult with the general public and various stakeholder groups on various binational issues involving the Great Lakes, including preparing briefing materials for Commissioners and Great Lakes advisory boards designing and facilitating public meetings and other consultations for the Commissioners and Great Lakes advisory boards, and serving on interoffice public affairs team.
Maintain Media and Stakeholder Relations through Ongoing Public Engagement and Public Events: The Public Affairs Specialist will design and complete informational outreach to keep media and stakeholder groups informed about IJC GLWQA policies, findings and activities plan and implement public meetings, university consultations, and stakeholder roundtable sessions for the IJC and its Great Lakes Boards under the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement, including logistics, program planning and publicity, video pre- and post-production. He or she will maintain personal contact with key media and stakeholder representatives to further the IJC’s mission under the GLWQA, and maintain effective working relationships with a range of sources from entities in the United States and Canada, such as IJC boards, universities, business, industry, First Nations, tribes, nongovernmental organizations, consultants, and others that conduct research on matters affecting Great Lakes waters shared by the two countries along the common border.
Assist with Advice to Commissioners and Great Lakes boards: The contractor will assist to develop recommendations for improvement of public affairs program based on analysis of feedback from affected or interested audiences, conceptualize and propose communication strategies to inform, engage and consult with various stakeholder groups, prepare briefing materials for Commissioners and boards as required.
Serve as Spokesperson and Respond to Press and Media Inquiries: The Public Affairs Specialist will serve a spokesperson for the Great Lakes Regional Office of the IJC on matters related to the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement, and respond to inquiries from news media, elected officials and other parties on the full range of IJC activities, develop approved positions and talking points, and will provide support to the IJC in public settings.
Design, Write and Disseminate Information to Target Audiences: Assist to develop and produce a wide range of materials for Commission, advisory board, public and stakeholder group use, with an emphasis on effective multi-media products, including particularly reports, articles, news releases, videos, animations, story maps, interactive reports, websites, infographics, news releases, articles, email campaigns, and website and other multi-media content for use on the IJC website, in its newsletters and on social media that reflect ongoing Commission priorities under the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement, to encourage information exchange on transboundary pollution problems, environmental programs and policies, and binational water quality issues involving the Great Lakes, and other priorities as assigned.
Provide scientific, policy, and public consultation writing and editing services: Review, edit and advise on effective design and dissemination of Commission and advisory board reports and other products under the GLWQA according to IJC stylebook, and propose and assist in implementing effective public affairs/engagement strategies for projects undertaken by the Commission’s GLWQA advisory boards.
Video Filming and Content Development: completes all video development requirements to promote IJC public consultation events, completes filming at those events, and produces video summary of each event, including scripting, editing and final production of videos for future use by the IJC as part of its multimedia public information and consultation program for the Great Lakes. In doing so, he or she will consider the relevancy and appropriateness of both content and delivery methods for each product to best position the agency with targeted audiences.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in any major field of study, and preferably environmental studies and/or communications experience as well as the following qualifications:
- Three to five years of experience in environmental and/or Great Lakes communications.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, practices and techniques of communication and public affairs that enables the Public Affairs Specialist to function as an authority in public information and communication problems and issues.
- Proficiency with reporting methods and news writing style; outstanding skill in producing clear and compelling copy for news releases, fact sheets, brochures, broadcast spots, and video storylines; and ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of International Joint Commission responsibilities and Great Lakes water quality issues, as well as broader issues concerning the environment, water resources and competing societal interests, and ability to explain established IJC positions in an accurate and transparent manner.
- Ability to draw appropriate conclusions from collected data from a variety of sources, and synthesizing facts to summarize, evaluate, and develop program recommendations related to public information, consultation and engagement.
- Ability to communicate complex scientific and policy information in an engaging manner to media, technical and non-technical audiences via timely written, visual and oral methods, and ability to capture what is newsworthy, of human interest and relevant to different user groups.
- Proficiency with online and social media methods and techniques; skill in using words economically and presenting content in an engaging manner; and ability to capture the attention the popular audience and a following among different age groups.
- Proficiency with various forms of information technology relevant to mass communication, extensive skills and abilities in video development, professional filming, production and editing to create effective communications products.
- Ability to effectively engage through social media platforms, animation applications, and desktop design software.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; ability to cultivate technical sources that may not normally interact with reporters; and skill in asking probing questions in a non-threatening manner. Ability to participate effectively in multi-disciplinary teams and skill in managing multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to explain established agency positions in an accurate and transparent manner, and skill in handling inquiries that may require internal consultation with colleagues before providing a full response; and,
- Knowledge of effective public information, engagement and consultation theory, techniques and approaches, skills to organize and conduct workshops, public meetings and roundtable sessions with nonprofit organizations, universities and colleges, federal, state, provincial and local government agencies, cooperating businesses and industries, and the general public by stimulating interest in participation in such meetings, and ability to evaluate their effectiveness in order to design and hold future events.
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description generally cover the nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. This is not intended to be a complete list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Subject to the terms of an applicable collective bargaining agreement, the company management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as may be necessary. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender or gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
The dedicated email and telephonic options above are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance to apply to an open position using our website.
Please do not use the dedicated email or phone number above to inquire on the status of your job application.
In order for our company to stay compliant with government regulations, please apply on line. Please DO NOT email resumes or call in lieu of applying online unless you have a physical and/or mental disability and need assistance with the online application.
Job posted: 2020-07-31