Public Policy Manager
The National Consumers League (NCL), America’s pioneering consumer and worker advocacy organization, is seeking a public policy manager to assume responsibility for a broad and busy portfolio of consumer protection advocacy priorities. Reporting to NCL’s Vice President of Public Policy, Telecommunications and Fraud, the ideal candidate will have a passion for promoting the public interest, a desire to advocate on a diverse array of public policy issues, and a strong background in research and writing for both external and internal audiences.
This is not an entry-level position. It is designed for candidates who have already demonstrated an interest in consumer protection and a desire to hone their skills in all facets of public interest advocacy.
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing a diverse portfolio of pressing consumer protection advocacy issues including (but not limited to) automatic renewal clauses, live event ticketing, financial services, insurance, debt collection, pyramid schemes, airlines, telecommunications, privacy and data security;
- Developing and maintaining strong and collaborative relationships with key policymakers in Congress and state legislatures as well as federal, state, and local agencies;
- Researching, writing, and editing impactful twice-monthly email newsletters, a monthly fraud alert, twice-monthly blog postings, periodic white papers, op-eds, fact sheets, press releases, Congressional and agency letters, and formal comments to federal and state agencies;
- Seeking out and identifying policy opportunities related to the Fraud and Public Policy department’s issue portfolio and making recommendations regarding policy positions and messaging;
- Coordinating formal and ad hoc coalitions of public interest advocacy organizations to advance departmental priorities;
- Assisting the Vice President of Public Policy, Telecommunications and Fraud in supervising the work of interns and public policy fellows;
- A demonstrated passion and commitment to the public interest;
- BA/BS in political science, journalism, communications, international studies or related fields;
- 3-4 or more years of experience in public policy advocacy settings;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to coordinate successfully with internal and external partners;
- Proficiency in public speaking;
- Excellent organizational abilities, strong attention to detail, and the ability to juggle multiple advocacy portfolios;
- Experience managing or working with internal and external teams;
- Ability to excel at working independently, a self-starter;
Preferred but not required
- Experience speaking on and off the record to the media;
- Experience working on the Hill, in a federal agency, think tank, or public interest advocacy organization;
- Experience advocating on behalf of the public interest before Congress or the administration;
Salary & Benefits
Salary based on experience and education, competitive with other nonprofit public interest organizations. Excellent benefits, including health, dental, long-term disability, life insurance, 401(k), employer SmarTrip contributions, annual and sick leave, and federal holidays. NCL is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit cover letter, résumé, salary requirements and at least two writing samples to email@example.com and reference “Public Policy Manager” in the subject line. If selected for hire, candidates must agree to undergo a background check.
Job posted: 2020-05-12