Public Relations Lead
Who we are:
Remember the last time you opened a bottle of champagne? A cold beer after a hard day’s work or a bottle of sparkling mineral water to quench your thirst? Well, it was probably made by us. We are O-I and we love that we make more glass containers than anyone in the world.
O-I has more than a century of experience crafting pure, sustainable, brand-building glass packaging for many of the world’s best-known food and beverage brands. We are proud to provide high-quality glass packaging for beer, wine, spirits, food, non-alcoholic beverages, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals.
With nearly 27,000 employees and an unparalleled footprint spanning almost 80 plants in 23 countries, O-I is a truly global maker of glass packaging.
From engineering and manufacturing to brand development, design and innovation, we are dedicated to providing unique solutions to exceed our customers’ expectations and fuel consumers’ desire for glass.
The successful Public Relations candidate will have a focus on environmental, recycling and climate change policy and strategy in North America. They will be responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with appropriate media and trade press and collaborating with key internal stakeholders to develop and execute the Company’s sustainability public relations strategy with policy influencers. , this position will be responsible for achieving a leading share of voice for O-I and for glass packaging on sustainability and for establishing our reputation as the most sustainable packaging company with customers, investors, communities, institutions / NGOs and consumers. This involves working closely with the Sustainability team, the Governmental Affairs team as well as the Digital Communications lead in order to develop impactful campaigns across channels.
The successful candidate should have keen attention to detail, the ability to work comfortability with senior leaders and as part of a matrixed team. The successful candidate also should have a deep understanding of O-I’s sustainability interests and agenda, knowledge of the trade press and other influence groups working in the sustainability space, and a basic understanding of the legislative and regulatory processes affecting sustainability. Other responsibilities include identifying and facilitating public-relations opportunities with policy makers, assisting with formulating sustainability policy and messaging, responding to press and some regulatory inquires as assigned
- Initial priorities will involve executing North American Sustainability strategic priorities
- Develop and maintain cooperative relationships with appropriate media and trade press with a focus on political and community influence.
- Collaborate with Sustainability and Government Affairs to develop and implement active and reactive media relations strategy, messaging, and issues management around recycling and sustainability.
- Collaborate with Sustainability, Communications, and Government Affairs to develop and execute consistent strategic messaging to key external stakeholders, including media, trade associations, NGOs, and policy makers with a focus on influence messaging.
- Assist Sustainability and Government Affairs with developing influence materials for key external stakeholders.
- Identify sustainability public relations opportunities and strategies and liaise with key internal stakeholders to ensure alignment and to engage employees to amplify our sustainability messaging and be glass ambassadors
- Coordinate with Communications team to ensure consistent and uniform messaging across all internal and external communication channels.
- This positon reports to the Chief Sustainability & Corp Affairs Officer
SCOPE AND IMPACT
The sustainability portfolio has broad organizational reach and impact. As customers and consumers become more aware and demanding of the sustainability attributes of their products, the position of glass as a packaging medium gains greater relevance. The Publics Relations Lead will take a North America country group lead in creating the future for glass in the environmental, public and political arenas of influence
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in marketing, public relations, communications or similar discipline.
- 5 + years of relevant experience in public relations, preferably with policy-related public relations.
- Strong analytical, oral, and written communication skills.
- Experience with and an understanding of the trade press and organizations operating in the sustainability space.
- Current understanding of relevant sustainability issues for consumers, brands and packaging manufacturers and an understanding of the regulatory/policy areas that impact sustainability issues.
- Strong bias for action and problem solving skills.
- Ability to be persuasive and to build and maintain strong relationships
- Ability to manage and meet critical deadlines.
- Creativity, having good judgment and taking initiative are also important.
- Ability to lead change and work with diverse teams.
- Approximately 15%. Out of hours availability will be required on occasion.
What We Offer:
- Opportunity for future growth and advancement
- Generous, Award-winning 401(k) plan w/ employer contribution & match
- Half Day Fridays
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Relaxed and contemporary dress code
- Education Assistance program
- Adoption Assistance program
- and much more…
If you are smart, passionate, innovative, culturally open, curious and collaborative, we’d like to hear from you.
O-I is committed to fostering an inclusive environment that attracts and embraces the brightest minds and creates a culture that welcomes a diversity of ideas and perspectives while encouraging growth and rewarding performance.
O-I is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact O-I at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-16