Public Relations Specialist
About this Position
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking to join a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. I mean, have you seen our vending machine?!
We are looking for people who are excited to thrive in an environment of impactful change. Team spirit is evident at Carvana and everyday we let our passions and creativity foster innovation. We take big swings, set ambitious goals, and challenge each other to make data- and process-driven decisions in everything we do. Here are a few of our stories! We’ve been changing the game since 2013, and we’re not taking our foot off the gas now. Want more of the story? Check out our background here.
As the Public Relations Specialist, you’ll work with both internal and external audiences to tell the Carvana story and deliver on our promise that we sell cars, but we’re not car salespeople. You’ll help us gain media traction in new and existing markets, as well as position us for national profiles and features. A person who will be effective in this role will have served in a public relations and/or communications role (in-house and/or agency) for consumer and tech brands, with direct experience executing media relations on a national and market-specific level. You will need to be highly adaptable, pivoting seamlessly from hyper-local community newspaper pitching one minute, to coordinating national broadcast interviews for the C-suite the next minute. Additionally, you’ll be responsible for developing and maintaining reporting tools to showcase PR KPIs and measures of success. You’ll need to be a great communicator, a brand ambassador, and possess the know-how and initiative to get the job done while telling the Carvana story with consistent messaging and aggressive earned media goals.
What you’ll be doing
- Proactively pitch media on company news
- Monitor ongoing trends, news and topics for relevant/timely ways Carvana can participate in the dialogue
- Develop compelling internal and external communications assets such as press releases, media alerts, proactive media pitches and media briefing books
- Become a subject matter expert on our industry, markets and technology, as well as our competitors and buyer personas and their business issues
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key external stakeholders, including technology, business and consumer media, influencers, partners, and experts
- Maintain our overall messaging platform and ensure communications are on-brand and consistent in terms of style and execution
- Meaningfully contribute to communications strategies and collateral for major internal and external communications initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
What you should know/have
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related field required
- 5+ years of experience in a public relations and/or communications role, preferably leading major pieces of business in an agency and/or brand setting
- 5+ years of direct experience in external media relations
- Adherence to and knowledge of AP Style
- Possess the energy and drive to accomplish goals, meet deadlines, and find solutions
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and execute on a number of projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, acting with urgency and accuracy
- Ability to communicate with both internal and external customers at all levels of the organization
- Exceptional track record of working effectively with the media, including demonstrated success in pitching and placing articles in major national, trade, consumer and business publications
- Experience managing communications strategies with measurable results
Also nice to have
- Established, trustworthy relationships with several top-tier media outlets and/or journalists
- Impeccable writing skills, demonstrating the ability to clearly communicate information to multiple audiences
- Ability to quickly grasp and synthesize complex issues
- Self-starter that can also work autonomously with enthusiasm, no job is too big or too small
- Experience with investor relations and public company reporting communications
- Proficiency with MS Office, media contact databases and G Suite (Google Sheets, Docs, etc.)
Tempe, AZ (Headquarters)
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skillset and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
- Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check.
- Carvana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
- This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-11