Senior Communications Strategist
The future is bright at DTE Energy! We are one of the largest Fortune 500 diversified utilities in the United States with an aspiration to be the best-operated energy company in North America and a force for good in the communities we live and serve. We have businesses in 26 different states and are comprised of regulated utility and non-utility businesses. Our utility business provides electric and gas service to approximately 3 million customers. Our non-utility businesses include a diversified portfolio of energy related companies, ranging from gas storage and pipelines to renewable power development.
DTE Energy’s utility and non-utility businesses are poised for significant growth. We look forward to working with highly motivated and team-oriented individuals to energize our efforts of growing economically and environmentally.
Recently, DTE Energy has been recognized as an outstanding place to work and has received the following accolades:
* Gallup Great Workplace Award for consecutive years
* Civic 50 Award for corporate citizenship excellence
* Indeed’s annual “50 Best Places to Work” award for two years running
* Metropolitan Detroit’s 101 Best and Brightest Companies to work For
* J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Award
* Professional Women’s Magazine/Black EOE Journal “Best of the Best”
* Computerworld’s 100 Best Places to Work in IT
* Best Employers for a Healthy Lifestyle Gold Award
* Detroit Free Press Green Leaders Award
DTE Energy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
Testing Required: Not Applicable
- Develops and leads the implementation of communication strategy and activities to inform, engage, and align all stakeholders primarily, employees, the media, and customers. Supports business and enterprise goals, helping leaders to shape the culture and deliver results. Counsels management and business partners on appropriate use of external communications tactics, including media and public relations.
- Works with the business unit designee and Corporate Communications team to develop strategic communication plans, designs and implements effective communications and stakeholder management strategies achieve the enterprise and business unit priorities.
- Acts as company’s media spokesperson for a broad range of business issues and topics including complex high visibility and high-risk issues requiring crisis communications and issue management skills.
- Integrates internal communication strategy and messaging with external/customer communication strategy and brand positioning.
- Develops and maintains relationships with media contacts, including more senior media outlet representatives, to establish an ongoing communications path for company issues, development, products and services.
- Interacts with local and industry media to disseminate key messages and information about the industry, company’s programs, products and services.
- Provides strategic internal and external communication, counsel, and support to senior leader(s) within the business unit including media relations assist in the development and implementation of strategic business unit communication plans.
- Develops strategic, concise, useful, timely, and reliable communication materials for business unit leaders to effectively communicate with their employees.
- Manages multiple projects with minimal supervision, ensuring budget compliance, and achievement of strategic communication objectives. Effectively manages all business unit communications from strategic, outcome-driven planning through tactical execution.
- Maintains and fosters effective working relationships with business unit leaders and proactively provides strategic communications counsel, earning trusted advisor status with business unit senior management.
- Gathers and analyzes relevant data from available resources and use it to continually improve communications effectiveness.
- Drives new approach to deliver strategic communications in a more efficient and effective way by challenging current processes and recommending new approaches.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree discipline and at least six (6) years of related experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Business Administration or related.
- Experience working with community relations, government affairs or investor relations.
- Experience working in public relations or media environment.
- Project Management skills with experience managing external vendors
- Strong writing and copy editing skills
- Experience in editorial content planning for print and digital channels
- Proficient written and oral communications.
- Ability to manage multiple project deadlines, special events, and crisis communications.
- Experience in crafting the communications efforts behind large companywide change initiatives.
- Proactive contributor with strong customer focus and the ability to maintain relationships and create consensus in support of shared outcomes.
- Experience in leadership and vision in determining and driving strategy.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a matrix work environment.
- Expert ability to lead content strategy and develop key message.
Incumbents may engage in all or some combination of the activities and accountabilities, and utilize a variety of the competencies cited in this description depending upon the organization and role to which they are assigned. This description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents in this job. It is not intended as an all-inclusive list of accountabilities or responsibilities, nor is it intended to limit the rights of supervisors or management representatives to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-28