Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Director of Communications
The Institute for Women’s Policy Research (IWPR) conducts and communicates research to inspire public dialogue, shape policy, and improve the lives and opportunities of women of diverse backgrounds, circumstances, and experiences. We are the leading think tank in the United States applying quantitative and qualitative analysis of public policy through a gendered lens.
IWPR advances women’s status through social science research, policy analysis, and public education. We develop new policy ideas, encourage enlightened public debate, and promote sound policy and program development. Our work also helps to change minds and improve the practices of institutions. IWPR operates on the principle that knowledge is power and that social science evidence based on strong data and analysis, compellingly presented and systematically disseminated, makes a difference in moving public policy.
Reporting to the President/CEO, the Senior Director of Communications will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate the mission, vision, and values of IWPR to external audiences and stakeholders. They will build and manage relationships with the media and other key entities, work to maintain brand and messaging consistency, and the advancement of brand awareness and visibility efforts with relevant constituents. They will also drive broader awareness on issues related to women’s economic security and wellbeing, and donor support for the organization.
The ideal candidate will be a self-directed strategic communications expert with a proven track record of success with earned and digital media, high-level stakeholder engagement, and positioning a mid-size research or policy organization for its next level impact and influence.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance IWPR’s mission, and broaden awareness of its research, programs and priorities;
- Create a marketing/public relations strategy that will allow IWPR leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers;
- Work with the senior leadership team and research staff to identify internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and to define and execute appropriate strategies to support them; and
- Serve as an advisor to IWPR Leadership and Senior staff.
- Oversee all print and online communications such as event programs, promotional materials, and annual reports;
- Develop and oversee the organization’s social media strategy and activity including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and other online platforms;
- Pitch timely stories, Opinion editorials, and IWPR research to media outlets;
- Maintain brand and messaging consistency, and advancement of brand awareness and visibility efforts in the field and across platforms and various mediums;
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, press releases, speeches, advisories, presentations, and other supporting material as needed;
- Attract, engage, and maintain relationships with the media, donors and other key stakeholders in concert with development staff;
- Manage strategies that draw attention to IWPR’s work including: crafting messages, identifying target audiences, and preparing material for internal and external distribution;
- Manage copy/content for materials including: email blasts, e-news articles, web content, invitation letters, and event recaps;
- Supervise communications staff and consultants, and serve as a key member of IWPR’s senior management team; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s Preferred or equivalent experience/expertise in one of the following fields: English language, journalism, public relations, public policy, communications, or related field.
- 8+ years’ experience in communications, strategic media relations or public relations, including at leadership/executive level.
- Excellent persuasive writing, editing and verbal communications skills, including presentation skills
- Strong portfolio of pitching media and placing stories
- Experience building a strategic communications plan that targets multiple stakeholder audiences and leverages traditional, digital, and social media platforms
- Strong existing media networks and relationships
- Proven track record of effectively interacting with diverse stakeholders including executives, researchers, public officials, and Board of Directors.
- Superior problem-solving, managerial and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work strategically and collaboratively across the organization.
- Effective, versatile, and action-oriented.
- Ability to work well under pressure with tight deadlines and multiple priorities
- National communications experience a plus
This in an on-site, full-time exempt position. The salary for the Senior Director of Communications, IWPR is $110-130,000/year. IWPR also offers a competitive benefits package.
To apply, submit a compelling cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Individuals from underrepresented groups encouraged to apply. IWPR is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Job posted: 2020-03-03