Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Government Relations Manager
Turo is expanding our Government Relations program and we seek a talented Government Relations professional with demonstrated expertise in state and/or local policymaking in Hawaiʻi. As a member of the Government Relations team, you will work cross-functionally to create peer-to-peer car sharing champions amongst influential policymakers in Hawaiʻi. You are quick-witted, entrepreneurial, and intellectually curious. To succeed in this role, you are willing to try new things and can manage numerous projects with tight deadlines. Things happen quickly at Turo, and to do great work, you need to be an enthusiastic team player who can work cross-functionally to solve problems and deliver results.
What You’ll Do:
- Drive Turo’s public policy objectives in Hawaiʻi;
- Cultivate and sustain relationships with state and local lawmakers, airport regulators, Turo community members, and key stakeholders in Hawaiʻi;
- Draw on existing experience to develop and execute Hawaiʻi-specific strategies to promote the concept of peer-to-peer car sharing, while defeating efforts to slow or inhibit our growth;
- Develop and execute entrepreneurial programs in Hawaiʻi that build trust with stakeholders including policymakers, influential local organizations, and the community at large;
- Monitor all legislative and regulatory activities with potential to impact our industry, and develop engagement, inoculation, and education plans to address each one;
- Testify at the capitol in Honolulu and at the local level on Turo’s behalf;
- Represent Turo in meetings, panel discussions, and group meetings in Hawaiʻi;
- In collaboration with Turo’s Hawaiʻi senior grassroots and community engagement manager, develop and strengthen the skills of the Turo community to advocate about the benefits of peer-to-peer car sharing in Hawaiʻi with lawmakers, regulators, community groups, stakeholders, and the broader population
- Attend in-person events with Turo hosts and guests to foster a thriving community of engaged constituent advocates;
- In collaboration with Turo’s Hawaiʻi senior grassroots and community engagement manager, identify opportunities to amplify Turo’s grassroots program to generate awareness of Turo and partner with grassroots colleagues to create advocates with key lawmakers;
- Serve as a champion for the Hawaiʻi host community with both external stakeholders and across Turo;
- Collaborate cross-functionally on issues that impact Turo and our community in Hawaiʻi, ensuring close alignment with the marketing, account management, sales, airports, communications, customer support, and the broader government relations teams; and
- Help identify and represent Turo at various community events, meetings, and media events on the islands; considerable inter-island travel expected
- 5+ years professional Government Relations experience in a private sector company in Hawaiʻi and/or as senior staff or advisor to a Hawaiʻi state or local legislature, legislator, or campaign committee;
- Demonstrable network of key relationships including Hawaiʻi state and local legislators, Governor, staff, and other policymakers;
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills;
- Extensive relationships with representatives from important stakeholder groups on the islands;
- Great interpersonal skills and ability to work well as part of a team and coordinate projects across stakeholders; and
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage sensitive or controversial subjects with tact, kindness, and professionalism.
- Competitive salary, equity, benefits, and perks for all full-time employees
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance (Country specific)
- Retirement employer match
- $2,000 Learning & Development stipend to invest in your professional development
- $1,000 USD Turo host matching and $1,500 USD vehicle reimbursement program
- $100 USD Monthly Turo travel credit
- Cell phone, internet and Fringe benefit stipend
- Paid time off to relax and recharge
- Paid holidays, volunteer time off, and parental leave
- For those who are in the office full-time or hybrid we have weekly in-office lunch, office snacks, and fun activities
- Annual Turbo Week (week-long, company-wide conference)
Turo is the world’s largest car sharing marketplace where you can book any car you want, wherever you want it, from a vibrant community of trusted hosts across the US, Canada, France and the UK. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership. A pioneer of the sharing economy and the travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community where the car you book is part of a story, not a fleet.
Turo cultivates a team of smart, critical thinkers who care about their work and their colleagues. We are always on the lookout for supportive, down-to-earth, pioneering, and efficient people to grow our team’s talent and enrich our culture.
Read more about the Turo culture according to Turo CEO, Andre Haddad.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. When in doubt, please apply!
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-08-25