Senior Legislative Advocate
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Senior Legislative Advocate to work with the Oceans Division of the Nature Program in our Washington, DC office. The Oceans Division’s Senior Legislative Advocate designs the legislative strategy and implements policy priorities for NRDC’s Oceans Division with Congress and the Administration, in addition to executing campaign goals related to our priorities. These priorities include protecting important ocean habitats, opposing offshore drilling, promoting sustainable fisheries, and improving ocean governance.
- Develops and implements advocacy strategies that advance NRDC’s Oceans Division priorities with Congress and the Administration;
- Serves as the Oceans Division’s connection to Congress, working with members of the team on a wide range of issues to develop legislative strategies and provide expert guidance on achieving identified goals;
- Acts as the lead Oceans Division liaison with NRDC’s Government Affairs to ensure cohesion and consistency with NRDC’s government affairs work;
- Coordinates Oceans Division legislative work with other parts of the Nature Program, as well as with Communications and Government Affairs Programs;
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with policy-makers and partner NGOs essential to advancing the Oceans Division priorities, including participating in and/or leading coalition efforts;
- Engages in advocacy that raises the profile of ocean activities, including maintaining an active blog, engaging with social and traditional media, and participating in conferences and other activities to advance program goals; and
- Engages in fundraising activities for the program.
- Advanced degree in environmental policy or law
- 5-10 years of advocacy experience
- Deep, substantive knowledge of policy issues
- Substantial knowledge of and experience with the federal legislative process
- Substantial knowledge of and experience in achieving campaign goals and objectives
- Excellent persuasive verbal and written communications skills
- Strong inter-personal, relationship-building and networking skills
- Demonstrated ability to work hard and independently
- Ability to analyze, understand and translate complex scientific, legal and policy matters for advocacy purposes.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org /careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Job posted: 2019-11-18