Senior Manager, Federal Government Affairs
How many people can answer the question, “What do you do for a living?” with the answer, “I help find cures for cancer.” At LLS, employees take our mission seriously. Whether you work in one of our chapters, are an accountant at the national office or a specialist in our Information Resource Center, you work each day on making our mission a reality: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. Join us and give new meaning to the word, “job.”
Summary: As part of a mission-centric, locally-delivered and nationally-powered organization, the Senior Manager, Federal Affairs is a dynamic and effective professional responsible for advancing an aggressive public policy agenda across a robust portfolio of issues. The Senior Manager will lead strategic planning on that portfolio; actively lobby relevant policymakers; conduct relevant legislative and regulatory analysis; strengthen stakeholder alliances; and partner with colleagues on external communications and grassroots mobilization. Relentlessly pursuing cancer cures.
Additional Position Information
Build & Execute Effective Strategies
• Lead strategy development and implementation on a portfolio of LLS policy priorities, including patient out-of-pocket costs, pediatric cancer policy, drug development and approval, and public funding for medical research.
• Partner with colleagues to design grassroots advocacy campaign strategies that achieve meaningful policy goals by leveraging LLS staff and volunteer resources.
• Routinely evaluate LLS goals to maximize LLS impact on policies that affect cancer patients.
Advocate for LLS Priorities
• Lobby Congressional offices and executive branch officials in support of LLS’s federal advocacy campaign strategies.
• Monitor and respond to federal legislative and regulatory activity, including bill introductions, Congressional hearings, federal regulations, and other activities.
• Analyze legislation and regulations and draft internal and external policy and advocacy materials, such as correspondence to policymakers, LLS volunteers, and other stakeholders.
Collaborate to Leverage Internal & External Voices
• Collaborate with government affairs and grassroots advocacy team colleagues to build relationships between LLS volunteer advocates and targeted federal lawmakers.
• Develop and build relationships with key partner organizations, including representing LLS at coalition events and meetings, often in a leadership capacity.
• Collaborate with the LLS communications team to advance LLS’s policy agenda by elevating LLS’s profile among journalists and other external audiences.
• Assist in all aspects of the planning of periodic DC Hill days for LLS staff and advocacy volunteers, with special focus on the training of volunteers and executive leadership.
Perform other related duties as assigned
Education & Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 4+ years’ experience in positions related to federal legislative and/or regulatory policies and processes.
• Experience as a registered federal lobbyist preferred
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
• Physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations
• Work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations
• Local travel approximately 50%-75% of time
Job posted: 2020-08-26