Senior Manager, Government Affairs
Hi, we’re Oscar. We’re hiring a Senior Manager to join our Government Affairs team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
We are looking for a government affairs professional with extensive state regulatory experience to assist in the continued development and execution of Oscar’s state and federal government affairs function. In this role, the ideal candidate will have a mix of experience, including familiarity with government programs, statutory solvency and risk management. Knowledge of the health insurance industry or another highly regulated industry and a demonstrated ability to operate at a highly strategic and collaborative level is critical. You’ll report to our Associate Director of Government Affairs, and work closely with the Vice President of Government Affairs and other business units across the company. Externally, you’ll interface with regulators and other government officials at both the state and federal level.
- Provide thought leadership on legislative, regulatory and industry developments, including the proactive identification and assessment of regulatory risks and the ongoing monitoring and tracking of relevant legislative and regulatory updates.
- Partner with Oscar’s finance and accounting teams to support the company’s statutory solvency and risk management obligations in the various states Oscar operates.
- Work directly with Oscar’s Medicare Advantage team to develop and execute on policy objectives. Ensure that they are apprised of all relevant federal regulatory and legislative proposals, and assess the likely outcome to determine the impact.
- Develop relationships with relevant state trade associations and other stakeholders to identify opportunities to promote policies that further Oscar’s interests. Maintain relationships with staff to facilitate and strengthen company influence with associations, in order to obtain appropriate research and policy support.
- Represent Oscar’s interests with elected officials and regulators at all levels, including senior administration staff, Commissioners of Insurance, state legislators, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 6+ years of experience in government/regulatory affairs, preferably with a health insurer
- Experience with state legislative and regulatory processes, ideally as they relate to the health insurance industry
- Experience working with federal health insurance regulators (including HHS/CMS/CCIIO), federal risk adjustment rules and the Stars Rating Program
- Experience managing cross-functional project/ initiatives, specifically in the government affairs/regulatory space
- Experience communicating with and presenting information to leadership
- Experience distilling regulatory requirements into digestible action items, for audiences at varying levels of seniority
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We’re on a mission to change health care — an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We aim to make health care affordable and accessible for all, and apply this same vision to our perks and benefits, including: medical benefits, unlimited paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won’t be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you’ve inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-18