Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager, Government Affairs
The Senior Manager, Government Affairs position is responsible for analyzing and lobbying on state legislation and regulations, aligned with the Association’s legislative, regulatory, and policy priorities. This includes lobbying proactively on Association priorities and responding to legislation or regulations that state policymakers and regulators take up. This position necessitates prompt legislative and regulatory analysis for the state government affairs program, while also supporting in-house lobbying efforts and special projects when needed. This position proficiently identifies, provides analysis, and offers recommendations and plans of action on bills and regulations that have an effect on the RV Industry, aligning with the Government Affairs department predefined legislative priorities. This position is also looking for emerging issues that impact the RV industry. On a day-to-day basis, this position lobbies on state legislation and regulations as directed by the Director of State Government Affairs, whom this position reports to.
The position involves a focused timeframe from January to May when most state legislatures are in session. During these months, the senior manager will be engaged in state lobbying activities, which may sometimes extend into evenings and weekends. This role also requires regular offsite travel, including trips to present testimony, negotiate bills, as well as attending meetings with partner and stakeholder association meetings. Attendance at the NCSL Legislative Summit as part of the Association’s exhibit is mandatory. Legislative trips mainly occur in late winter and spring, while partner association and NCSL trips are typically scheduled for late summer and fall. The fall is also the time period for identifying and securing legislative champions, hiring lobbyists if necessary, and preparing for the upcoming legislative session.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, policy analysis, or a related field required.
- Degree or job experience stressing legislative, writing, and communications skills preferred.
- 5 – 7 years’ experience as a legislative manager, preferably in a trade association or in a Capitol Hill or state legislative office required.
- Applicant should demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills, critical reading and thinking skills.
- Ability to speak to policymakers on all sides of an issue influence policy decisions, and build relationships with partners.
- Ability to independently manage workload and meet deadlines, synthesize information into concise summaries that address established policies and strategic objectives, recommend courses of action, and perform legislative and regulatory analysis.
If interested in this position, please submit your resume and salary requirement to to Senior Director of Human Resources, Alice Wang, at email@example.com and summarize your skills and experience as they relate to meeting the requirements of this position.
The RV Industry Association is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment.
Job posted: 2023-09-14