Senior Public Affairs Specialist
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Vice President, Marketing and Communications, this position will lead public affairs, external relations and stakeholder engagement, as well as support external communications and public relations activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- External Relations: Develop and align the external relations and third-party stakeholder engagement agenda with the overall company strategy
- Prioritize third-party events, conferences, webinars, memberships, speaking engagements and meetings on external relations agenda based on potential value
- Support executive leadership team with speaking engagements (briefing packets, messaging, and onsite support)
- Establish and maintain key performance indicators for outreach efforts, establish stretch goals, evaluate results and optimize external relations plans based on performance
- Foster relationships with key stakeholders that support the execution of NuScale Power’s business strategy
- Support NuScale’s employee ambassador program, which utilizes trained employee speakers to reach company goals through external relations strategies
- Public Affairs/Message Development: Maintain an understanding of current issues that impact the industry while monitoring the landscape for emerging issues that may affect it in the future. Develop and implement key messages through proactive outreach campaigns and integrate across other marketing and communication channels, while maintaining consistency of messages to various audiences and leveraging political advocacy. Resolve public affairs issues and support stakeholders with local and community education about NuScale’s technology
- Investor Relations: Support investor relations and research that aligns with the Finance team’s goals and metrics
- Business Development Materials: Work closely with the Business Development team to customize stakeholder outreach strategies and create customized communications and marketing materials (fact sheets, brochures, and other materials targeted to specific countries, regions, utilities, and/or prospective customers)
- Media Relations: Support media relations (media pitching, interview coordination, press releases, speeches, letters to the editor, opinion pieces, blogs, fact sheets and other content)
- Social Media: Support content development, publishing, moderation, social listening, and analytics
- E-Newsletter/Mass Email Campaigns: Support content development, localization/personalization strategy, schedule, metrics and optimization for an external e-newsletter and other targeted mass emails
- Website: Support development of country-specific, personalized content for the website
- Events: Support press and other events (logistics, materials, run of show, and onsite support). Support larger company events by garnering advocacy and support, facilitating key stakeholder participation and facilitating tours of the NuScale Power SMR technology and facilities
- Brand & Marketing: Support and execute communication plans for marketing and brand campaigns
- Internal Communications: Support internal communications to employees on key inflection points and other major announcements
- Perform other duties as assigned
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
- Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity, Is able to create, read and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
- Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization. Leads consensus by involving all stakeholders, facilitating their understanding of differences, agreeing on requirements and constraints, and developing the best solution.
- Safety Culture: Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
- Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1 preferred.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
- Education: A Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited college or university. Advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of related experience required in communications, media relations, public relations or related field is required.
- Experience building external communication strategic plans, including media relations, public relations, events, social media, external relations or public affairs strategies, and other communication channels is required.
- Proficiency in developing sharp, convincing messages for diverse audiences on complex matters, sometimes with significant scientific content is required.
- A strong track record working with the media to position an organization in a competitive communications environment is required.
- A strong track record of positioning an organization to achieve tangible outcomes in a competitive communications environment.
- Project management skills and experience, including managing the work of outside consultants.
- Ability to work independently, be self-driven and maintain communications with NuScale Power’s management and staff while working from various locations is required.
- Experience in organizing major events is required.
- Experience and knowledge of nuclear and energy industry preferred.
- Financial acumen to develop and manage budgets.
- Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
- Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
- The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands and arms. Ability to lift ten to fifteen pounds.
Disclaimer: Employee(s) must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employee(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all employees in this classification.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-18