Sr. Director of Government Affairs
Velodyne Lidar provides smart, powerful lidar solutions for autonomy and driver assistance. Headquartered in San Jose, CA, Velodyne is known worldwide for its portfolio of breakthrough lidar sensor technologies. Our lidar technology has revolutionized perception and autonomy for automotive, new mobility, mapping, robotics, and security applications.
Velodyne Lidar provides smart, powerful lidar solutions for autonomous vehicles, driver assistance, delivery solutions, robotics, navigation, mapping, and more. Our mass-market adoption has created new opportunities in the software space, and we are currently developing a suite of new services.
Specific Job Requirements:
Velodyne is looking for a dynamic Sr. Director of Government Affairs to represent the company’s interests within key federal, state and local agencies. This candidate should have deep expertise in the transportation and innovation regulatory landscape. This role will span from exercising thought leadership by advocating for future policy frameworks to diving deep into detailed regulatory affairs and rules. We are looking for someone who can promote lidar adoption and identify business leads by proactively finding and partnering with relevant stakeholders. Our ideal candidate is someone who is enthusiastic, a strong communicator, and who has excellent attention to detail. Come join our innovative team in this exciting, fast-paced industry!
- In close coordination with the Chief Marketing Officer, policy team and other members of Velodyne’s leadership team, develop and manage federal, state, local, and outreach strategies.
- Monitor, anticipate, and analyze state and federal legislative and regulatory policies and proceedings, particularly related to AV, ADAS, infrastructure and privacy/security, to develop recommendations and prepare communications for the executive team.
- Partner with internal departments to understand goals, see opportunities, determine business impacts of legislative and regulatory proposals, and build and drive positive policy outcomes.
- Develop new market opportunities and build business leads for lidar adoption in federal, state and local agencies.
- Represent Velodyne before industry best-practice setting bodies, technical forums, and at conferences, on expert panels, and in other forums, as appropriate.
- Work directly with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Department of Transportation (DOT), the state/federal legislature, and work on federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS), to further Velodyne’s public policy and regulatory objectives.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key elected officials, legislative staff, and policy groups to increase Velodyne’s visibility, presence, and influence in government.
- Engage in relevant rulemakings and public comments, policy guidance, standards development, and other such activities.
- Provide input and strategic guidance related to public filings and the pursuit of other corporate priorities.
- Proactively identify, assess and mitigate potential issues that could impact the company’s reputation or objectives.
- Develop and engage Velodyne employees in a holistic safety approach.
- Support developing and implementing sustainability policy.
- Evaluate work within non-profit and external agencies to guide decision-making and maximize membership opportunities.
- Deep expertise in transportation and innovation regulatory landscape.
- Understanding of relevant administration, agency, Capitol Hill, and advocacy activities.
- A proven track record of building trusted relationships and successfully navigating complex regulatory processes.
- Established ability to build and sustain relationships with all levels of government, management, or teams and backgrounds.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and the ability to convey complex topics succinctly and persuasively.
- The ability to manage multiple projects on tight deadlines.
- A flexible, creative and goal-oriented mindset.
- Ability to thrive and stay organized in a high-growth environment
- A team player and cross-functional collaborator with an ability to get things done and carry projects forward.
Preferred Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field
- 10+ years of experience working at or with federal agencies, on Capitol Hill, or in advocacy organizations.
- Relevant experience with government affairs, public policy, and government relations in the technology/AV sector.
- Experience in developing and providing public comments, policy guidance, standards development, and similar activities.
Note to all recruitment agencies: Velodyne Lidar does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our career page or any Velodyne employees. Velodyne is not responsible for any fees related to any unsolicited resumes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-22