Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President, Public Affairs and Media Relations
The Vice President, Public Affairs and Media Relations oversees Nationwide Children’s s public affairs agenda including all corporate communication, local, regional, and national media relations strategy.
Why Nationwide Children’s Hospital?
The moment you walk through our doors, you feel it. When you meet our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are integrated into our core values and practices. We are passionate about building, sustaining and evolving an inclusive and equitable environment. We are seeking individuals who live these values and want to share their experiences and efforts in support of our collective mission.
We’re 14,000 strong. And it takes every one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids around the world we’ll never meet. Kids who live healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
Strategy Development and Oversight
• Assesses organizational priorities and develops integrated annual public affairs and media relations plans to meet business objectives; positively impacting organizational success and mission.
• Manages assigned team and oversees development of client-specific plans for key internal clients.
• Provides proactive and reactive counsel to administrative, medical and operational leadership providing system-wide integration of marketing and public relations activities.
• Presents plans to Senior Management to gain plan and budget approval.
• Manages planning process, implementation and communication throughout the year to enhance efforts and achieve results.
• Manages assigned outside vendors to ensure consistent quality and efficient production.
• Establishes goals, measures and evaluates outcomes of strategies and initiatives utilizing appropriate qualitative and quantitative methods.
• Identifies new services or PR opportunities in collaboration with operational units and senior hospital leadership.
2. Management Responsibilities
• Accountable for Cost Center management and oversight. Develops and maintains assigned budget and operates within guidelines.
• Provides direction, leads, coaches, develops and counsels direct reports to achieve department objectives. Performs other staff management functions such as monitoring staff performance, administering performance appraisals and hiring and/or discharging employees as needed. • Responds to customer requests, communicates and resolves issues on a timely basis.
• Ensures that work product meets standards for quality and accuracy.
• Presents to Executive Leadership to gain direction, approval and change recommendations.
• Pursues opportunities to present locally, regionally, nationally, both at CHCA and other national opportunities.
• Serves as a member of management committee and department team lead group.
• Provides administrative back-up to Chief Marketing and Communication Officer.
3. Team Support – Integration of Marketing and PR Functions:
• Collaborates closely with the Senior Directors of Media Relations, Corporate Communication, Content Strategy and Social Media for the purpose of integrating activities across Earned, Owned and Shared channels.
• Collaborates with other Marketing management to ensure the integration of content strategy and messaging among all functions within the department.
• Works closely with other Marketing and PR functions to work collaboratively to integrate strategy, timing and messages.
4. Strategic Media Relations:
• Effectively plans and directs a proactive and reactive media relations program designed to increase NCH reputation within local, regional and national markets.
• Manage PR agency relationships, priorities and objectives; develop measures to ensure ROI on investment and report results to marketing leadership and executive management.
• Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with local, national and healthcare trade media and influential professionals.
• Serves as media relations spokesperson for all NCH entities as required
5. Crisis Communication and Issue Management:
• Creates crisis communication plan, protocol and education throughout NCH and affiliates.
• Conducts media training as needed for NCH personnel.
• Review and analyze plan versus actual response, issue management, and resolution to Apply learning and enhance education.
• Creates proactive and reactive strategic communications consultation to executive management on systems issues and urgent situations.
• Ensure executive leadership are apprised of current issues and events in an ongoing, timely manner. 6. Strategic Communication & Thought Leadership
• Leads the NCH Thought Leadership Workteam
• Leads the development of integrated thought leadership strategy to support NCH’s key strategic priorities framed in the strategic plan including population health, behavioral health, technology commercialization, genomics, integrated research and care
• Positions senior leadership and other key clinical/research leaders as subject matter experts in influential media outlets. Strategies are determined in partnership with key organizational goals
• Supports NCH’s Stand Against Racism. Stand For Health Equity through an integrated communication and thought leadership strategy
Certifications: APR from PRSA preferred
• 10+ years of Public Relations leadership experience with directing integrated teams and agency relationships. Seeking leaders with proven results.
• Working within healthcare, cause-related or philanthropic programs, optimally at the national level preferred.
• Experience and familiarity with public affairs. Crisis communication and issues management
• Experience and familiarity with influencer and celebrity engagement and management
• Flexible, nimble and thrives in fast-paced, highly-collaborative team model.
• Experience in a health-related or nonprofit environment preferred.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-16