VP, Federal Affairs
What is a VP of Federal Affairs?
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Government Relations & Regulatory Affairs, the VP, Federal Affairs, will represent Assurant’s interest and promote the Company’s public policy agenda before Congress and executive branch agencies. The VP, Federal Affairs will work closely with the Senior Vice President, Government Affairs, senior business leaders, and other members of the Government Relations and Regulatory Affairs team to develop and implement the Company’s federal legislative and regulatory strategy and agenda. He/She will manage the company’s PAC and key relationships with lawmakers, staff, and regulators, and represent the Company in trade associations and coalitions
Why You Should Consider This Role
- You are authentic and love advising and connecting with people
- You value the autonomy to use common sense and good judgment to make decisions
- You are naturally comfortable exercising discretion when interpreting policies
- You have a reputation for excellence and integrity in the government affairs community
- You are comfortable dealing with conflict and providing specific feedback
- You are an innovative thinker who anticipates and solves problems
- You have superior relationship building skills and can adapt to multiple audiences
What You Will Like
- The people – we care
- The diversity – every day is different
- The excitement – we focus on ‘What Matters Most’ to our customers
- The difference in the value Assurant places on strong leadership
- The opportunity to learn, grow and advance within our fortune 300 global company
- Competitive salary
Ensure the company is among the leading voices in public policy debates affecting its interest and businesses. Pursue federal legislative and regulatory opportunities to improve the business climate for the Company and its products, while fighting legislative and regulatory proposals that are costly and detrimental to the business. Build and maintain relationships with Members of Congress, staff, and federal regulators.
Take leadership roles at the American Property Casualty Insurers Association (APCIA) and other trade associations, help manage Assurant’s involvement, and influence the associations’ action in support of the company’s priorities. Build and maintain productive working relationships on behalf of the company with relevant internal and external stakeholders to identify, anticipate, influence, and manage public policy issues of importance to Assurant.
Advise senior management and business unit leaders of pending legislation and regulatory actions to ensure business decisions that are or could be affected by governmental action are made on an informed basis. Assist in the production of background briefings, presentations, and other advocacy materials
Manage the political engagement of senior executives with Members of Congress, executive branch agency officials, and trade associations. Manage and strengthen the Company’s Political Action Committee (PAC) solicitation and contribution strategy and attend fundraising events
What You Should Know About Us
- Assurant, Inc. helps people protect what matters most to them
- We have been around for a while with our roots tracing back to 1892
- We are a Fortune 300 company employing approximately 15,000 people in 21 countries
- We provide specialty protection products and related services to safeguard against risks
- Undergraduate degree is required. Master’s Degree or JD is preferred
- 5-10 years of relevant federal government affairs experience
- Prior experience in Congress, executive branch, insurance or financial services industry is a plus
- Related experience before insurance regulators in New York and Florida (Preferred)
- 5 + years in the practice of law
- 3-5 years’ experience adapting and successfully leading others through change in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with laws governing the operation of Property and Casualty insurance companies
- Must be a highly motivated, dependable, detail-oriented and well-organized individual
- Highly autonomous and self- motivated work ethic; demonstrating sound judgement, initiative and an ability to manage multiple priorities with a sense of urgency.
- Demonstrated ability to hand matters of a sensitive and confidential nature and the capacity to maintain composure while working under pressure.
- Highly autonomous and self-motivated work ethic; demonstrating sound judgment, initiative, and an ability to manage multiple priorities with a sense of urgency.
- Demonstrate an ability to handle matters of a sensitive and confidential nature, and the capacity to maintain composure while working under pressure.
- Must demonstrate strong executive presence, interpersonal, and highly developed writing and speaking skills.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-10-02