Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Community Engagement Specialist
Status: Full Time Exempt, Salaried
Employment period: 2-year term
Salary: $60,000 – $65,000 per year, paid monthly
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Working Conditions: On-site, 35 hrs/wk, Occasional Domestic Travel, Technical Setup Provided (Laptop and Accessories)
Benefits: Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Paid Time Off, Matching IRA Contributions, Professional Development Assistance
Reports to: IMT’s Associate Director of Utility and Regulatory Strategy, working closely with the Chief of Staff for Louisiana Public Service Commissioner – District 3
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) believes that our buildings have an important role to play in reducing pollution, protecting our health, and enabling us to thrive. IMT’s community engagement is based upon the principles of the Just Transition, a vision-led, unifying and place-based set of principles, processes, and practices that build economic and political power to shift from an extractive economy to a regenerative economy.
To serve the people of Louisiana and advance access to affordable, reliable, clean energy for all, IMT will be providing on-site advisory staff support for Commissioner Davante Lewis and Commissioner’s Chief of Staff of the Public Service Commission of Louisiana – District 3. IMT seeks a dynamic individual to engage community members in activities and initiatives happening at the Commission. The Community Engagement Specialist will play a key role in coordinating and attending community events and developing educational materials from the District 3 office. This role will report to IMT’s Associate Director of Utility and Regulatory Strategy, while working closely with Commissioner Davante Lewis and Commissioner’s Chief of Staff. The position is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Coordinate, manage, and attend local community meetings and events
- Create educational and outreach resources on Commission initiatives
- Contribute to the development of messaging campaigns connecting community needs and assets to policy efforts
- Actively seek and cultivate partnerships with community-based organizations
- Support the implementation of a strong peer-learning community of organizations and local agencies working at the intersection of climate/environmental justice, infrastructure, and policy
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate degree
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience, demonstrated success in organizing community events
- Commitment to advancing social, economic, and climate/environmental justice
- An understanding and commitment to the principles of equity and inclusion. See Climate Justice Alliance for more information on the Just Transition and multi-sector alliance work.
- Highly organized, with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Communications background or experience in storytelling in order to amplify community voices
- Flexible and comfortable with some ambiguity, and a team player
- Values relationships and uplifting community voices
This position is funded by philanthropic contributions, employed directly by the Institute for Market Transformation, and seated in the Louisiana Public Service Commissioner’s Office for District 3. This position may require travel outside of the Baton Rouge metro area less than 10% of the time. The position is full-time through the end of 2025.
The salary range for this position is $60,000 – $65,000, commensurate with experience. IMT offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance and disability coverage. IMT also offers generous paid time-off.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Community Engagement Specialist” in the subject line.
Job posted: 2023-08-31