Director, Congressional Affairs
This Washington, DC-based position leads Microsoft’s public policy advocacy with Democratic Members of Congress in the U.S. Senate. As part of Microsoft’s senior Congressional Affairs team, this position plays a significant role in shaping the company’s advocacy agenda on Capitol Hill and is responsible for the development and execution of strategies necessary to achieve these goals. The Director of Congressional Affairs works closely with company executives and collaborates with colleagues primarily in the U.S. Government Affairs (USGA), Corporate External Legal Affairs (CELA), and U.S. Public Sector (USPS) organizations. The Director also represents Microsoft in discussions with policymakers, including Members of Congress, congressional staff, and external stakeholders.
Responsibilities: The Director of Congressional Affairs will be responsible for developing a range of strategies and executing those on Capitol Hill, including:
- Advocating and advancing the company’s priorities and initiatives in the U.S. Senate;
- Establishing and maintaining strong working relationships and communication channels with Members of Congress, congressional staff, and external stakeholders to achieve objectives;
- Responding to Congressional inquiries, supervising the preparation of Microsoft witnesses invited to testify before Congress, and preparing other internal and external communications;
- Explaining complex concepts, technologies, services and related policy issues to policymakers;
- Keeping abreast of technological trends and understanding how they intersect with Microsoft, the marketplace, and policymakers;
- Collaborating effectively with internal and external stakeholders to achieve objectives; and
- Managing internal resources (ex. Microsoft PAC) and external consultants.
- Minimum 8-10 years of demonstrated, successful work experience with Democrats in the U.S. Senate (or firms or organizations directly related to Senate Democrats);
- Requires significant time outside the office to meet with Members of Congress and congressional staff in a variety of public settings on Capitol Hill;
- Track record of delivering results in developing and implementing legislative advocacy programs in the Senate;
- Strong project management, organizational, and coalition-building skills, including demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects concurrently;
- Experience managing internal resources, including consultants, on legislative or public policy-related initiatives;
- Eagerness to understand and explain complex technical concepts and their policy implications;
- Self-starter with an ability to lead and motivate others, embrace big challenges, learn new topics, and collaborate and coordinate effectively across organizations;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Domestic travel required including weekends; and
- A B.S. or B.A. degree required.
Mission and Culture:
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more. That’s what inspires us, drives our work and pushes us to challenge the status quo every day. At Microsoft, we also work to empower our employees, so they can achieve more. We believe we should each find meaning in our work and we ensure employees have the freedom and the reach to help make a difference in the world.
Growth mindset: At Microsoft, we’re insatiably curious and always learning. We ask questions, take risks and build on each other’s ideas, because we are better together. We lean in to uncertainty, take risks and move quickly when we make mistakes, because we know that failure happens along the way to innovation and breakthrough.
Customer obsessed: We are passionate about helping our customers achieve more, and that means we really listen and learn from them. We bring solutions that don’t just meet the needs of customers and their businesses, they often surprise and delight them. Then we innovate further to give them even more.
Diversity and inclusion: We don’t just value differences, we seek them out. We invite them in. Microsoft is a place where employees can be who they are. We value diverse perspectives. And as a result, we have better ideas, better products and happier customers.
One Microsoft: We are a family of individuals at a truly global company, united by a single mission. We work together, building on each other’s ideas and collaborating across boundaries to bring the best of Microsoft to our customers and the world.
Making a difference: Our employees have access to the latest technology and tools, the power to build on the company’s far-reaching momentum and the drive to change the world. We can make a difference. Together, we can help billions of people around the globe use digital technology to achieve amazing things.
We know where we’re going as a company and how we’ll get there. We are committed to reinvent productivity and business processes, build the intelligent cloud platform and create more personal computing. These three goals are interconnected, they’re bold—and they’re why we are always looking to bring even more brilliant and creative people to our team.
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2018-12-19