Director of State Regulatory Affairs
The Director of State Regulatory Affairs will report to Group Vice President, State Regulatory Affairs and will be responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing government affairs strategies and activities that advance the company’s interests with state Attorneys General activities. The job may include representing the company before state Attorneys general, their staff and related Attorneys general associations, as well as strategically planning, managing and executing other activities and events that advance the company’s overall objectives. The following offers more detailed descriptions of the kinds of responsibilities associated with the position.MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent the company before state Attorneys General, including AG staff and at state Attorneys General national and regional conferences and other external functions across the country.
- Monitor and report on state Attorneys General policy and enforcement activities at the state and national level.
- Contribute to and support Charter’s government affairs and public policy strategies and tactics regarding state Attorneys General activities.
- Develop, build and expand relationships with state Attorneys general and influential state Attorneys general staff.
- Work collaboratively with supervisors, peers and outside consultants to develop and grow working relationships with state Attorneys General and staff for the benefit of the company and its customers.
- Effectively plan and execute initiatives to grow the company’s image within the state Attorneys General community.
- Assist in the development and management of the company’s political contribution strategies, where permitted under applicable law.
- Draft, analyze, and/or present testimony or advocacy positions as necessary and perform regulatory and state Attorneys General advocacy.
- Manage outside counsel, consultants or lobbyists as necessary.
- Interface with Legal and Customer Care to monitor resolution of escalated complaints from state Attorneys General.
- Develop approaches to support company’s business objectives and to manage outreach and interactions with state Attorney’s General and staff related to our business and services.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Communicate orally and in writing in a clear and straightforward manner.
- Analyze and interpret legislation, regulation, contracts, franchises and legal documents.
- Make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure.
- Exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance and operate with integrity and within company values; maintain high standards for ethical practice.
- Have knowledge of state Attorneys General activities preferred.
- Have knowledge of cable, telecommunications and broadband products, services and regulation preferred.
- Legal, legislative policy or regulatory experience required.
- Work independently, but also to collaborate effectively with colleagues, peers and other internal and external constituencies.
- Handle multiple projects and tasks.
- Use personal computer and software applications (i.e. word processing, spreadsheet, presentations, etc.).
- Read, write, speak and understand English.
- Juris Doctorate Degree.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent
Related Work Experience
- Advocacy, lobbying and negotiation skills.
- Law/Political/government relations background.
- Understanding of state Attorneys General and state and local government.
- Generally 4-6 years related experience in the cable industry, law, government, public policy or legislative arenas.
- Normal office conditions.
- Frequent travel required.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance.
- Able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Vision ability, close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
CERTIFICATIONS AND/OR LICENSES
- Member of a State Bar.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-11