Government Affairs Specialist
Execute strategies to develop beneficial local and State government, and regulatory relationships in support of corporate business and revenue objectives. Provide broad-based, front-line representation of SJI subsidiaries in local government affairs and community-based organizations. Assist with corporate charitable and civic contributions/sponsorships.
- Act as a government affairs liaison between SJI, its regulated businesses and the municipalities it serves. Establish and maintain regular contact with municipal and county level elected officials, as well as identified community leaders, in support of corporate objectives that enhance business development and revenue opportunities.
- Identify community concerns and establish a basis for dialogue and productive working relationships. Develop and implement communication initiatives that direct specific outreach at targeted communities in support of corporate objectives.
- Assist with daily oversight of corporate strategic giving and grant programs. Coordinate sponsorships and opportunities for corporate recognition that support positive relationships, performing the logistical tasks necessary to facilitate this recognition (i.e. event attendance coordination, banner or ad recognition, speaking opportunities, panel participation, etc.)
- Directly assist Operations staff with the local government outreach required to achieve objectives. Represent SJI subsidiaries in meetings and forums throughout the State, providing follow-up communication with management and internal staff as appropriate.
- Collaborate with Communications, Rates and Regulatory, Environmental, Marketing, Sales and Energy Efficiency teams, among others, to drive governmental initiatives in support of corporate strategic objectives. Develop analyses and updates to help keep clients apprised of regulatory and governmental initiatives and guidelines that impact them.
- Represent SJI and its subsidiaries in meetings and forums throughout the State, providing follow-up communication with management and internal staff as appropriate, to keep them apprised of impacts to the company. Lobby as needed on behalf of the company.
- Assist with employee engagement initiatives as needed.
- Strong writing, speaking and organizational skills are required.
- Knowledge of and experience in local and state government outreach and communications, as well as a general understanding of the NJ state legislative process.
- Demonstrated network of local government contacts in northern New Jersey is desirable.
- Knowledge of utilities industry and energy issues is a plus, but not required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic computer programs including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as knowledge of legislative tracking data systems.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Major/Study in Political Science, Public Relations, Public Affairs, Communications or a related field preferred.
- 2+ years of direct work experience in governmental, political, and/or public affairs/relations.
- Valid driver’s license, as travel to events and off-site meetings is required.
- Related work experience may be accepted in lieu of a degree.
Explore the Possibilities
If you’re looking to make an impact, South Jersey Industries is the perfect place. For interns, college graduates, or experienced professionals, at South Jersey Industries we look for enthusiastic, talented professionals at every level of our enterprise. From call center representatives with excellent people skills to engineers with the vision and expertise to design tomorrow’s energy infrastructure, we know that our people fuel our success. We take pride in recruiting the best talent available for every facet of our business. Explore the possibilities. You’ll be sure to find an opportunity that piques your interest.
- We are committed to developing and implementing innovative projects that increase energy efficiency and save clients money
- We provide an opportunity to build a successful and rewarding career in a variety of functional business areas
- We foster individual talents and abilities while promoting the value of teamwork
- Our culture prepares you for a lifetime of learning and professional development
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Job posted: 2020-09-02