Manager, Legislative Affairs
Under the direction of the Chief Advocacy Officer and as a member of the Hospice Action Network (HAN) team, the incumbent will manage all activities related to the development of legislative strategies and successful advancement of the legislative agenda of NHPCO. As NHPCO’s staff lobbyist, the incumbent will serve as the primary liaison between the legislative branch and NHPCO staff. He/she will be responsible for building and strengthening relationships with Members of Congress, congressional offices, and relevant congressional committees. He/she will draft legislative proposals and monitor and analyze existing and emerging legislative proposals to determine the potential impacts on the hospice and palliative care community. With a keen awareness of the current political environment on Capitol Hill, he/she will advise HAN and NHPCO staff about important trends and events and will serve as an advisor to NHPCO leadership, the HAN Board, and various NHPCO Committees. Essential duties include the following:
- Directly lobby Members of Congress, congressional staff, and federal agencies.
- Develop and implement federal lobbying strategy and tactics in coordination with NHPCO leadership; serve as lead point person for contract lobbyists.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholder groups including, but not limited to Members of Congress, other elected officials, members, NHPCO partner organizations, and government agencies.
- Help to manage a consensus process to the develop the legislative agenda for NHPCO and strategies required for advancing the legislative agenda.
- Work closely with the NHPCO leadership, HAN Board, members, and NHPCO Committees and Workgroups on a regular basis to ensure strategies are executed to advance the legislative and regulatory agenda.
- Track, analyze and translate legislative proposals and issues; develop summaries and other resources and ensure timely dissemination to the HAN team, NHPCO leadership, HAN Board, and members.
- Support the HAN team with planning and logistics for HAN events and other initiatives.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please reference “Manager, Legislative Affairs” in the subject line. Principals only / no phone calls please. Only candidates selected for interview will be notified.
Competencies for this position include the following:
- Leadership, diplomacy and experience to advance a national public policy agenda for a national leadership organization;
- A thorough understanding of local, state and federal governmental processes and the ability to provide comprehensive strategic and tactical plans to effectively intervene for the benefit of the organization;
- Ability to maintain professional presence in both internal and external settings;
- Polished interpersonal skills to facilitate working with the target audience and other stakeholders.
An advanced degree is preferred, but a Bachelor’s degree is required in political science, communications, or policy-related field, along with three to five years of recent experience working for a congressional committee or Member of Congress and /or in a national organization’s federal government affairs department. Knowledge of and/or experience in hospice and palliative care policy development or similar healthcare public policy initiatives is preferred. To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite and advocacy and policy tracking computer systems.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience, excellent benefits, conveniently located at King St. Metro in Alexandria, Virginia. To apply, send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Manager, Legislative Affairs” in the subject line. Principals only / no phone calls please. Only candidates selected for interview will be notified.
Job posted: 2019-02-07