Public Relations Manager-1
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
To generate and manage coverage of Worcester Polytechnic Institute in national, regional and higher education media to increase awareness of the mission of the university, its schools, purpose-driven research, leadership in project-based learning, and commitment to turn knowledge into action to confront global challenges.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Focus on generating coverage/publicity of WPI stories in the national, regional and higher education media
- Serve as a media liaison; developing relationships and pitches, responding to queries and seeking opportunities to position WPI faculty and staff as experts;
- Write media pitches, press releases, media advisories, backgrounders, bylined articles, online articles, internal communications pieces, Q&As, social media posts, website copy, university messages, video scripts;
- Seek out compelling stories from academic areas that can be pitched to media;
- Work with faculty, researchers, administrators, students, and corporate partners to source and position stories – as well as newsgathering, fact checking and arranging press contact;
- Serve as on-site PR support for stories on and off campus, managing the location and other needs;
- Develop media plans and strategies;
- Monitor news for trends and opportunities to leverage WPI staff and faculty expertise;
- Share story trends and ideas with WPI faculty and staff colleagues;
- Participate in social media outreach on behalf of WPI;
- Stay abreast of developments in traditional, online, nontraditional and new media outlets;
- Develop/refine media lists;
- Manage distribution/posting of press releases, media advisories, and stories
- Contribute to/monitor/update WPI Expert Database
- Contribute to/monitor/update WPI Today news page
- Work closely with members of the marketing communications team to integrate efforts and enhance WPI’s position as a well-rounded institution of higher education;
- Provide public relations counsel to members of the community;
- Provide media updates on a regular basis;
- Contribute to issues and crisis management efforts when needed;
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or a related field and 5-7 years related professional experience
- Must understand standard public relations concepts, practices and procedures;
- In-depth knowledge of print and broadcast news media and significant familiarity with online news outlets and social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram);
- Self-motivated and results-oriented professional with a deep curiosity about a range of subject areas;
- Strong track record in generating media coverage;
- Excellent organizational skills; adept at balancing multiple projects and meeting deadlines;
- Positive attitude;
- Committed to excellence;
- Creativity, open-mindedness and enthusiasm about seeking new solutions to problems and opportunities;
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills;
- Must be a team player who is able to work within a changing and dynamic department;
- Outstanding communicator;
- Great listener;
- Excellent writer;
- Dynamic presenter;
- Ability to decipher complex material and distill it into compelling story lines;
- Penchant for asking questions that lead to story ideas;
- Discretion and good judgment;
- Familiarity with media/PR platforms such as Cision and Muck Rack;
- Experience with PowerPoint, Microsoft Word and Excel; experience with Drupal or other CMS platform a plus.
- Understanding of Associated Press News style;
- Must be available for occasional participation in evening or weekend special events;
- Must be available for occasional travel.
- WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace culture where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can belong, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-24